Discuss cost to replace an immerser element in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
have been asked to quote to replace an element. ive done a few back a while back and i dont want to short change myself. probably fit an 11in screwfix 17 pounds odd. lower element with good access, drain tank maybe 20min or so. travel 30min there and 30min back. many thanks.

You Arrive.
Locate isolation valve for cylinder and shut off.

Locate drain valve for cylinder.
A; find there isn't one and the only way to drain it is to disconnect the hot at the top and syphon the water out.
B; find it's at the back and barely accessible.
C; find it was easilly accessible but you didn't replace the washer in it when the cylinder was empty and when the water was turned back on it dripped and you had to drain again.

Start draining the water and begin to think it's taking a long time.
It's then you realise the isolation valve isn't fully shutting off, so you tighten some more and it shears closed.

Now the cylinder is empty you start to undo the heater but it's stuck firm.
You pull on the spanner harder and the boss rips out the side of the cylinder.

It's at this point you realise you should have done what EVERY plumber would have done at the time of quoting and warn that;
Even though the cylinder looks new there's a risk the heater won't unscrew or the boss may rip out.
Or because the cylinder looks old, there's a risk the boss may rip out or the cylinder fail somewhere else.

You leave at the end of a very long day with your £90 having had to pay a plumber up £500 out your own pocket to come and fit a new cylinder and immersion heater and or new isolation valve.

At least you can get your £17 back from Screwfix for a low quality immersion heater.

The nightmare scenario described by snowhead is the one to consider because its likely much much more possible than the element paradise I will describe below

Prefab houses
Open up the ply board that covers the hidden water tank (mother earth below)
Man No 1 removes the element,man No 2 catches the water in a bucket,that is until No 1 screws the new one in (10 minutes start to finish)

Believe me there will always a full bucket of water because man No1 will deliberately wait until the bucket is almost full before screwing the new one in:)

My brother just had a plumber out to change the top element on his dual element immersion tank.
£127+vat labour / £27+ vat for the element

I don't get involved on changing immersion heaters, and I get asked at least once a month. Always reccomend getting a plumber as so kuch can go wrong

Reply to cost to replace an immerser element in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock