Discuss Couple of questions to the wise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

-
Reaction score
New connection to refurb, what does the S.S.E MP band represent on the incoming feed.

Secondly, how come they can get away with wrapping the earth in tape whilst we are required to follow the regs20181017_201441.jpg

The DNO are not subject to the regulations :)

But at the most basic level they have followed regs as they have clearly identified the conductor.

As for the SSE MP band, not a clue, sorry.

If your asking what does SSE - MP stand for then you could have a look at the switch for the SSE as for the MP well that's anyone's guess (possible regional ID or 'something' power), if your asking what it is doing then it is a termination shroud possible heat shrink.

Majority of meter seal flags in this area I have seen are initialled MP.

As SC said, BS7671 does not apply to the work before the meter.

Protective conductors can be marked in lots of ways according to the regs. Tape, sleeving, paint, or sometimes not marked at all.

Protective conductors can be marked in lots of ways according to the regs. Tape, sleeving, paint, or sometimes not marked at all.

I like to wrap my CPC in Brown, especially when installing new lighting circuits.

This way when Mr.DIY changes his light fittings, and doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing, he has no eyebrows left.

P.S Jk.

I like to wrap my CPC in Brown, especially when installing new lighting circuits.

This way when Mr.DIY changes his light fittings, and doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing, he has no eyebrows left.

P.S Jk.

Been doing a job this week where the cable for the lighting is PVC sheathed red single and earth, except the cpc was not bare, it was green sleeved throughout the cable. Not seen this cable type before.
Best bit was that they had used the green core as neutrals and switch returns throughout the system....nothing marked up.

Been doing a job this week where the cable for the lighting is PVC sheathed red single and earth, except the cpc was not bare, it was green sleeved throughout the cable. Not seen this cable type before.
Best bit was that they had used the green core as neutrals and switch returns throughout the system....nothing marked up.
I have this amongst by random off cuts, what you are describing but has a red sheath.20181017_221001.jpg

Can I ask... did you cut that out of a place and keep it?

Just trying to ascertain if my growing collection of old cable types is a little bit strange or not :)

No idea where it came from but when Andy mentioned it I thought I have some of that and found it straight away amongst my junk.

@westward10 Yes that's the stuff, except this had a grey sheath and the overall profile was a bit smaller. It was severely affected by the green goo as well.

44117047_1924111580958309_8993347310901526528_n.jpg

@SparkyChick Nope your hobby is not weird or exclusive to you...I have a good few hundred large Victorian houses on my doorstep and work in them often. I love ripping out bits from under floors and adding them to my shed pile. Some of the stuff you see still in service is mind boggling.

2018-10-17 22.44.32.jpg

@SparkyChick Nope your hobby is not weird or exclusive to you...I have a good few hundred large Victorian houses on my doorstep and work in them often. I love ripping out bits from under floors and adding them to my shed pile. Some of the stuff you see still in service is mind boggling.

View attachment 44945[/QUOTE]
@Andy78 what is that stuff at the top of the picture looks like it’s encased in asbestos or similar

@Andy78 what is that stuff at the top of the picture looks like it’s encased in asbestos or similar

I can answer that... it's old fashioned trunking. Wood with slots cut into it and a wooden lid screwed on :)

I salvaged a section of that which runs into a big metal junction box and then emerges as lead sheathed cable. Nice addition to the collection :)

SC is right, 2 compartment wooden trunking known as cap and case.
This was free floating from under a floor but have also seen it in lofts, and in fancy installs, used as decorative architrave round door frames as well as cable containment.
The cable type inside is VIR cloth coverd singles.

Reply to Couple of questions to the wise in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net