Discuss CU move guidance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hoarec

-
Reaction score
Be gentle as this is my first post (and my first piece of hands on electircal work). I am "qualified" (C&G inspection and testing, 17th edition etc) but this is the first time I've taken on a substantial piece of work. I'm in the process of rewiring my own house.

I'm putting a new CU in and also moving it. It's only going to be about 2m from the meter so I shouldn't need to put a fused switch in on the extended tails but the CU will now be on the other side of the wall on which the meter sits. So the new tails will route through that single brick wall. That wall separates the house from the integrated garage so I'm into fire compartments etc. So question is how do I get the new tails through the wall so that the tails are protected and the fire compartmentation is maintained? Also concerned about the bend radius on the tails.

You would need to fire stop the penetration through the wall so that fire cannot spread from garage to house or vice versa.
Have a look at Approved Document B vol 1 part B3 section 7.
Do not flatten the tails to the wall allow them to curve through the hole , if possible fit the CU over the tails so they can come in straight.
If the cable is securely fixed in place then there should be no damage to the cable once it is through the wall, if you want to use conduit through the wall then I would seal it with an intumescent seal so that it can close up in case of fire.

Thanks for that. I've put 20mm conduit through (lined up with the CU so the tails go straight in). The conduit is firestopped with mortar with the tails sealed at conduit ends with intumescent seal. Guess I better think about plugging up the three fist size holes in the garage ceiling that the existing cables go through (or is that classed as exisiting so I can safely leave them)

Reply to CU move guidance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock