Discuss CU prior to garage conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

guediver

DIY
Reaction score
To be clear: I will have a qualified electrician doing work for me and I have discussed this with them. I am looking for general advice to help my planning

I’m having a new CU installed prior to a garage conversion (conversion to be done by me). Current CU is on external cavity wall which will be later brought out in stud and insulation.

My dilemma is

1) is it permissible to stud and insulate around a CU if it were now installed on the block work? (I’m aware of access requirements)

2) if not permissible, or just not a good idea, is there anything I could do ahead of the electrician coming (short of building the entire stud wall)?

This feels like a common problem in retrofits/ renovations and wondered what solutions get used. I did speak about this to my electrician when he came to quote but I don’t really remember a clear ‘this is what we’ll do’.

mount The new board on some stud work so it comes out to the same level as the finished wall will be.

If I'm understanding the OP's post correctly, I'd leave the CU exactly where it is and frame out the area around it in the studwork, so that eventually it sits in a recess. If the recess turns out to be deep enough, it can be turned into a cupboard by adding doors and architrave in front of it.
Done this many times, including all three of my holiday cottage conversions..

I've used both of the solutions mentioned above, either bring CU forwards or build a recess for it.
I generally prefer a recess as it makes a future CU change a bit easier.

As noted above Hager make a nice flush mounted CU where the sides are of adjustable depth.
It comes does to what you feel is the most acceptable aesthetic solution.

Reply to CU prior to garage conversion in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock