Discuss Current situation what should i do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Blair

Hello i have my 17th edition and level 2/3 2365 "not nvq" and have just passed my inspection and testing 2394/2395. I currently do not drive but that is my next goal. i an mainly experience in domestic /commercial i have had small industrial experience.

i am 20 would say i have had 2/2.5 years work experience doing electrical / fire alarm /cctv

What should i do?

what wages should i be expecting?

Last edited by a moderator:
get driving licence first. nvq is no good if you can't drive to work.

I can join napit / niceic etc with out the nvq if i was to go self employed. i can get a Trainee electrician (Stage 3) ecs card currently using a cscs thats an upgrade i do need to get. but as of right now im only doing fire alarms on £7 a hour now that i have my inspection and testing thing its time to get my wages up lol

I can join napit / niceic etc with out the nvq if i was to go self employed. i can get a Trainee electrician (Stage 3) ecs card currently using a cscs thats an upgrade i do need to get. but as of right now im only doing fire alarms on £7 a hour now that i have my inspection and testing thing its time to get my wages up lol

YOu can join Napit/NICEIC with the qualifications you have, as you have simlar qualifications as i do.
Just got to Spend out for INSURANCE, what Napit/NICEIC will lead you to some one to sort that out and i guess need your own tools.. TRANSPORT (not a Push bike or Segway) ..

I dont know how you can get the ECS Card as it seem to me you need the NVQ3 +AM2 or company that you work for to get a Trainee Electrician if you are working towards the NVQ3 (Just a bridge unit and some Examples of work i believe)

I guess the thing you will have agest you, is AGE. Its not a great thing but people expect people in jobs to look and be simlar age. I come from a rough area so much so that i expect people to be watching me and i dont like places of trust as if any thing goes wrong, i will be the first to be slammed.

Suggestion if you can, do work that you dont need the likes of Napit/NICEIC, keep your job going, get more tools and buy good ones that you know are good. and save up for thing a bit. So building up a Name and Tools, so when you hit 25 say you can jump in to it. Personally i dont think thats a right way to view things, ie a 20 year old can be just as good as any one else. But i think its the safer bet.

i have all my tools + a megger mft 1553 i have been pulled on my age before :/ nothing i can do about that sometimes good sometimes negative...like one time i was going to put an outside socket for someone and they where really really put off for my age... haha

next time they say how long have you been an electrician turn round and say...whats that? haha joking im looking forward to inspecting and testing even though i have passed my exams its time to learn it in real life! fun fun!

Reply to Current situation what should i do? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net