Discuss Cut meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Working on a new build site i've come back to a property that i'd 1st fixed to find someone has cut all the cables going to the exterior of the house including the 25mm meter tails in the meter box.

The house has been boarded so renewing the cables isn't really an option. What would be the correct way to extend 25mm cables as they are about 1M short as they enter the meter box. I know this is far from ideal but I don't really seem to have any other option.

I would fit a large ip rated enclosure where the tails have been cut then double pole Henley inside and then either trunk or kopex tails to the meter box.

Working on a new build site i've come back to a property that i'd 1st fixed to find someone has cut all the cables going to the exterior of the house including the 25mm meter tails in the meter box.

The house has been boarded so renewing the cables isn't really an option. What would be the correct way to extend 25mm cables as they are about 1M short as they enter the meter box. I know this is far from ideal but I don't really seem to have any other option.
A MF enclosure with din rail connectors and maybe a Henley for the tails, sited as close to the cut off cables as possible to make a decent job of it and extend the cable runs to the correct position I would have thought. Oh and give the Divvy that cut the cables to short a stiff talking to

Last edited:
Whne you say someone has cut all the cables going outside ha sthis been done from outside or inside?
If from outside I presume that copper thieves are the likely culprits?

I wouldnt be happy with a joint in meter tails, I would insist on replacing them. The idiot who cut them will be paying the bill, or if it was thieves then your insurance will be paying.

Yea they've been cut on the outside of the house. Either copper thieves or someone who has an issue with my company. This is the tails coming through the cavity into the meter box.Cut meter tails IMG_20190828_105353848 - EletriciansForums.net

Its quite a run through the house and under the stairs back to the CU.

Yea they've been cut on the outside of the house. Either copper thieves or someone who has an issue with my company. This is the tails coming through the cavity into the meter box.View attachment 51871

CU THIEVES DEFO you mentioned other cables though, or am I mistaken?
[automerge]1567539303[/automerge]

To getbthe right picture is it just the tails that have been nicked or all the circuit conductors as well? because I understood your said including the tails, which indicated to me that all the CU cables had been cut

Yea they've been cut on the outside of the house. Either copper thieves or someone who has an issue with my company. This is the tails coming through the cavity into the meter box.View attachment 51871

It can't be that far surely as tails are limited to 3 metres? Or is this insulated and sheathed singles being used for a submain and not actually the tails?

CU THIEVES DEFO you mentioned other cables though, or am I mistaken?
Sorry, yes my cables for Outside lights and outside sockets had also been cut. The fact that they'd cut off 30cm of 2.5mm made me consider perhaps it wasn't just scrap that they were after and someone has a problem with me onsite.

Sorry, yes my cables for Outside lights and outside sockets had also been cut. The fact that they'd cut off 30cm of 2.5mm made me consider perhaps it wasn't just scrap that they were after and someone has a problem with me onsite.
Ah well then my advice could be construed as inaccurate then Henly blocks in an enclosure would be best for the tails the others would need to see to offer the best advice.

Having seen the photo I assume that the meter box is going where the block is you may just have enough to make off in Henly blocks but you have to consider that on the LHS is normally where the cut-out is. If not they will have to be replaced and the developers will have to get to grips with that is what will have to be done you should not be having to bodge a new installation.

Scumbags it would seem someone has done it in spite to me as they would have made more of an effort to remove more of they were thiefs

Whats at the other side of the wall?
With a bottom right hand entry to the meter box,those tails look far too short to extend inside the cabinet
I suppose a switch fuse house side of that wall would be a no go ?

The choices left if "changing" them is not on, inline crimping with heat shrink(which would not be the best decision because they would likely be well hidden and not open to being able to keep an eye on them)
Could you consider a metal box and blank plate house side where they could then be extended

In a perfect world you could ask the thieves to "think about what they have done" and to maybe put the cables back the way they found them
Oh sorry that sort of action is already the standard response to low level crime like pinching tools and vans etc in this country

Scumbags it would seem someone has done it in spite to me as they would have made more of an effort to remove more of they were thiefs

Id say the opposite is true, if doing it out of spite you make sure to cut them so short they couldn't be joined.
Thieves will grab and go, being more concerned about being seen doing it than making a neat job of it.

Rather than just click a negative icon :confused:What in my post do you disagree with,maybe expand your reasoning with the post and we can debate the subject

Rather than just click a negative icon :confused:What in my post do you disagree with,maybe expand your reasoning with the post and we can debate the subject
Sorry, I just think that an undesigned crimped joint in a new installation is how it was designed they should be replaced as new. We are trying to appease the builder so no making good and not what is correct.

Reply to Cut meter tails in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock