Discuss Damage Costs assistance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just after some advice as every day is a school day.

So putting some power into a garage using SWA. Fuse board is in a little toilet downstairs so drilled through external wall in line with the consumer unit high up near the ceiling pretty much top corner, within building regs safe zone.

Anyway I've gone through a water pipe. There was no clue that the pipes were there. Anyway I've got the pipe repaired through a mate.

However the question is do you put the repair cost onto the customer? It was the only route through to the board and there was no indication that a water pipe was there.

Interested to see your thoughts.

Thanks

Andy

Depends how much damage , how much time to repair and how much you like the customer

if there is lots of damage , like new plastering and full re-decorating then I might put it though my PL after the job

if the damage is minimal I would talk with the home owner and come up with a plan to put it right , maybe split the cost 50/50 or something like that

If I had done that, the repairs to pipe and decorations etc. Would be covered by myself.

the home owner should be able to assume you have the skills and equipment required to check for buried cable and pipes before drilling the hole.

one to consider as a learning experience I think, take it on the chin and pay the plumbers bill.

I'd be covering the cost myself or claiming on my PL.

Not sure... if I was the customer... that I'd ever entertain the idea of paying for a tradesman's error. Sympathetic maybe, but not out of pocket.

I almost hit a pipe the other week... no indication that it was there, nor reason for it to be there. I just grazed it with the jab saw... one of the benefits of hand tools over power tools... you can more easily feel if you've hit something.

There is a housing estate near me with the horrible microbore plumbing pipe used for the heating pipes and it seems be run everywhere underneath the plaster , diagonal , metres away from the rads etc

Drilling through these walls is like playing russian roulette

By your own admission, you were drilling holes in an electrical safe zone, so you should have been working with extreme caution, in case of cables.
Also, you were drilling on the same wall as a toilet cistern, so you know there are water pipes somewhere.
Odds against either a pipe or wire exactly where you drill are high, but occasionally your number comes up.
Not the customer's fault, so it's up to you to make it all good again. It's all good experience.
Reminds me of the time I was cutting through floorboards with the saw depth stop set to a mm less than the board thickness. How was I to know that some (expletive) plumber had cut a wide groove in the underside of the board for his pipes to cross a beam.

It is tempting to treat myself to a FLIR camera for exactly that situation/problem.
So... just pondering this one... would a FLIR camera show up pipes ?

-CH ones would if the heating was on.
-Cold water pipes... maybe, if the water was sufficiently colder than the ambient ?
-Gas... probably not... but I guess if the temp difference was big enough ? Gas flowing and cold gas ? in the winter maybe ?

Anyone had any experience ?

I have a seek thermal camera (which is much cheaper) and it only picked up buried water pipes if they taps they run are used for a while , or if the heating on and they are rad pipes. No idea about gas but i would doubt it.there is also a time before they show up (thermal lag)

If anyone knows a decent well priced Thermal Camera then please let me know. Definitely may invest in one for the future although i would only use occasionally.

I appreciate your comments guys.

Thanks

It is tempting to treat myself to a FLIR camera for exactly that situation/problem.
They are a useful piece of kit but as with a lot of higher cost tools it is whether the return on the investment is worthwhile

I have been using a Flir C2 for a few years now, it's been a good addition to the toolbox and has been useful ( it impresses the customers when you get out a thermal imager ) as to justifying the the cost I don't think it has earned it's keep yet but but don't regret buying it

Hi Guys

So putting some power into a garage using SWA. Fuse board is in a little toilet downstairs so drilled through external wall in line with the consumer unit high up near the ceiling pretty much top corner, within building regs safe zone.

Anyway I've gone through a water pipe. There was no clue that the pipes were there. Anyway I've got the pipe repaired through a mate.

However the question is do you put the repair cost onto the customer? It was the only route through to the board and there was no indication that a water pipe was there.

Thanks

Andy
I have had similar experiences, and while I have taken the cost of repairs on the chin, it does feel unfair. While you can reduce the chances of hitting a hidden pipe, sometimes it just isn't possible to detect them - eg. plastic in solid plaster isn't going to show up until you've put a drill through it (unless perhaps a change of temperature is present).

The plus side is I am now pretty handy at emergency plumbing repairs

Hi Guys

Thanks

Andy
ACCIDENTS like the one you describe should be covered by your insurance, that is of course if you have any, just put in a claim no need to charge customer.

ACCIDENTS like the one you describe should be covered by your insurance, that is of course if you have any, just put in a claim no need to charge customer.
problem there is that you have an excess of £250 which is more than a repair by a plumber would cost you, so not worth claiming unless the water has caused additional damage shoving the repair costs to well above the 3250.

problem there is that you have an excess of £250 which is more than a repair by a plumber would cost you, so not worth claiming unless the water has caused additional damage shoving the repair costs to well above the 3250.
Forgot to press the shift key?

When I first returned to the industry a few years back, I cut a CH pipe with a circular saw. The pipe was not marked and flattened to go in gap between RSJ & under the chipboard flooring; water everywhere, before I could stop it. Insurance claim for decorating and carpet cleaning. Client even tried for a new 3 piece suite, but declined by loss adjuster. Three weeks later, client said his CH 3 way packed up, because of the leak. Insurance wouldn't add to the claim, so I had to pay for it.

All for a poxy new socket, I was installing for client.
After that, I became really nervous cutting into chipboard flooring

Four years later, this was my near miss with a gas pipe.
IMG_1587.JPG
I was cutting the chipboard, with a 4" holesaw very carefully. Nothing to suggest the pipe was there (I put the markings on the flooring). Never touched the pipe. The Gods were looking down on me that day.

The same week, we found this when removing old units in a kitchen refurb. The screw just scratched the pipe.

IMG_1537.JPG

Reply to Damage Costs assistance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net