Discuss DC transformers in parallel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Toma Toma

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,
First off: I am very new to electrical stuff. Right now I'm running my first ever project containing electrical components. So sorry in advance for very wrong terminology and schematics:) please bear with me.

I'm having a Finder Controller (F) to control my "work circuits". Its powered and gets signals with DC current. This part works just fine- I tested it already out. The Finder Controller opens and closes circuits- the way you program it anyway. You can manage two separate circuits with itat the same time. I colored them on my schematics.

All my consumers are exactly the same- identical ampere and powered by DC current. Tho they all have different rhythms. Sometimes none is running, sometimes some of them, sometimes all of them.

Due to space issues and getting the right min/max wattage I decided to plug two identical DC transformers (T) in parallel. This way I can supply a single consumer if needed and can get "additional amperes" if needed. (Anyway that's my idea of how it should work out in the end)

I drew a schematic to help me wire and show you what I intend to do. Of course I could just plug that thing in and see what will happen. But I'm afraid to burn my components. Also I know that there is a lot going on in the cables that I'm not aware of and I see this as a way for me to learn a bit more. So feel free to share some wisdom and thoughts here. It is much appreciated.
Also I don't really mind if I'm not doing it the RIGHT way. As long as I don't create potential dangers I don't mind keeping things simple. So maybe we can try to keep that goalpost.

Kind regards,
Toma

Attachments

• New Document_1.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 12
While some DC PSU are designed to operate in parallel, such as the dual-redundant PSU in high end computer servers, etc, that is not the normal case and so what will happen is not clear:
  • Best case they do some sharing, but it is VERY unlikely they would share evenly without being designed to do so.
  • Next case is one runs, overloads and cuts back so the other takes over, and then the first recovers and the cycle begins again.
  • Worst case is one comes up first band forces current back in to the other causing permanent damage.
TL;DR this is a bad idea unless the PSU manufacturer say otherwise. Get a larger PSU.

Reply to DC transformers in parallel in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net