Discuss Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Straight yes or no, do you support the reintroduction of the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 22 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 55.1%

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am suprised the yes vote got so many, I would expect a 80-20 in favour of keeping the death penalty from being re-introduced, perhaps the opinion in the UK is changing.

Trev. I could list you dozens and dozens of death penalty cases in the USA that have been overturned after the convicted person was proven innocent due to corupt evidence and officials hiding evidence .
In the 40's & 50's in Texas there was two sheriffs famous for their arrest and conviction rate, over 50 of murderers and rapists a vast majority by confession of the crime.
After these men had been sentanced to death they usually retracted their confession saying they were torchered by the two sheriffs who said they would kill the accused family or kill the accused and said they tried to escape, if they didn't sign. This was obviously ignored by the state and pardons board in Texas and in nearly 100% of the death sentances were carried out.
After a conviction they obtained was looked at more closely in the 70s, after both sheriffs had died witness came forward to say they had seen how the sheriffs had got their confessions but were to affraid to come forward why they both were alive.
So it seems maybe 50 innocent men could have been executed by Texas just because of two corrupt officials. A terrible thing if true.
The USA is a difficult country to look at when discussing the death penalty as you have 30 odd states who still execute who all have different laws and sentances.
If you look at UK there has been only 3 cases of persons executed who have been overturned all of which would not have been convicted today.
Look at James Hanratty hung in the early 60s. His family and many others thought him innocent and fought for DNA evidence to prove him innocent. Some 45 yrs after he was hung his body was exhumed and samples taken. Far from proving him innocent the evidence proved he committed the crime.

Hanratty was hanged according to law and (depending on the way you look at it) it was the right sentence. There may be only 3 cases where the executed individual has since been proven innocent, or not guilty because there's a potential world of difference between the two, but there are many cases where an individual would have been sentenced to death had it still been on the statute books. Considering that the sentence was carried out after three Sundays had passed since sentencing then that would make a lot more innocent people going to the gallows.
I think it's also worth mentioning that the powers that be are extremely reluctant to re-examine cases which are closed and that have resulted in the execution of an innocent person so there could be a lot more than 3 people who have been wrongly hanged

Many of the death sentances which were carried out in the UK should not have been carried out due to the circumstances that they were committed. Id say 85% would not even be considered for a murder charge today.
How about the case of Keith Allen Duff sentanced to death for murder in Texas in 1968 was commuted to life when the death penalty was suspended un USA in 1972. He was paroled and released in 1990 murdered again in 1992 executed in 1998. How does the girls parents who he killed after being released feel ?

They should find out where he is then send a drone or two in.

The problem is that these drone strikes routinely kill innocent people including hundreds of children so far, the killing of children just causes more people to join the fight against the US and the west. I would argue that using these drones is a form of terrorism. But I expect that those who believe in the use of these drones think that because these children are in Pakistan and Afganistan they are considered not important enough to matter, unlike your own children.

But I expect that those who believe in the use of these drones think that because these children are in Pakistan and Afganistan they are considered not important enough to matter, unlike your own children.

The life of any child in the world is precious and they must all be protected
There is traigcally many children suffering and dying in this world because the adult population are obsessed with maintaining power where it exists,maintaining wealth where they have it,believing in ancient fairy tales about so called prophets from medieval and illiterate times,they then use terror both national and individual to impose their wills

In our lives,we are but a moment in time,in the millions of years of the earth we are a nonentity,
each one of us will be lost and forgotten within 2 generations

Why individuals, who engage in terror and individuals who engage in politics don't just try and live their moment in time in peaceful and productive persuits is mind bogglingly stupid and evil

We all have responsibility to the children,the future,each and every one of them and we should do all in our moment of time to make their brief existences happy and wonderful instead of pursuing selfish personal gain whether through the fantasy of religion or the pursuit of wealth over others

The problem is that these drone strikes routinely kill innocent people including hundreds of children so far, the killing of children just causes more people to join the fight against the US and the west. I would argue that using these drones is a form of terrorism. But I expect that those who believe in the use of these drones think that because these children are in Pakistan and Afganistan they are considered not important enough to matter, unlike your own children.

And these Muslim terrorists rely on these to recruit, same as Hamas routinely attack Israel, so that more of the Palestinian civilians are killed in retaliation (so called collateral damage), and they have more recruits. It's all done deliberately.

As for the death sentence, I'm for it, but not straight death, and only for nonces (including ALL who are in possession of videos or pictures) and terrorists.

Build a huge underground arena, have a slope for them to slide down, with a 20 foot drop at the bottom (broken ankles or legs), and just leave them there. Make sure they have access to fresh water (to keep them alive as long as possible) but not food. They would then suffer amongst all their dead mates, and die in misery and squalor. Some people don't deserve to be treated as human beings.

And these Muslim terrorists rely on these to recruit, same as Hamas routinely attack Israel, so that more of the Palestinian civilians are killed in retaliation (so called collateral damage), and they have more recruits. It's all done deliberately.

As for the death sentence, I'm for it, but not straight death, and only for nonces (including ALL who are in possession of videos or pictures) and terrorists.

Build a huge underground arena, have a slope for them to slide down, with a 20 foot drop at the bottom (broken ankles or legs), and just leave them there. Make sure they have access to fresh water (to keep them alive as long as possible) but not food. They would then suffer amongst all their dead mates, and die in misery and squalor. Some people don't deserve to be treated as human beings.

Would you believe in this punishment if you were framed for a crime? Perhaps someone could plant evidence on your computer because they took a dislike to something you had done?
By your logic that would mean Israel deliberately target the Palestinians in order to provoke them into prolonging the conflict.
Does that mean terrorists who kill children should suffer this punishment, if you ask me there are terrorists on both sides of any conflict, it is the nature of war, it is only propaganda that convinces people that they are on the right side. Should the drone operators suffer the punishment or the people who give the orders or perhaps all of them?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2420137/Revealed-The-12-convicted-murderers-freed-licence-kill-AGAIN-past-decade.html

Would you believe in this punishment if you were framed for a crime? Perhaps someone could plant evidence on your computer because they took a dislike to something you had done?
By your logic that would mean Israel deliberately target the Palestinians in order to provoke them into prolonging the conflict.
Does that mean terrorists who kill children should suffer this punishment, if you ask me there are terrorists on both sides of any conflict, it is the nature of war, it is only propaganda that convinces people that they are on the right side. Should the drone operators suffer the punishment or the people who give the orders or perhaps all of them?

So you believe that some people arrested and found in possession of thousands of ****ographic pictures of children, have had that evidence planted? That the poor innocent souls are dealt with harshly by the courts? Those draconian community orders and suspended sentences.

Poor Muslim men, having bomb making instructions and chat logs planted on their laptops as well. Some even get tricked into attending properties where making facilities are present. They think trips to Syria and Pakistan are just holiday. They're not at terrorist training camps, it's their form of paintballing isn't it.

And I think you'll also find that Israel never just target Palestinians for no reason, it's always in response to indiscriminate shelling of Israeli civilian towns and cities. People go on about the wall going up as well, but that was in response to continual suicide bombings, again targeting civilians (which are muslim ideas of legitimate targets), and these are now non existent.

The Palestinian terrorists know full well that Israel will respond with full force when they start shelling, and know full well that numerous civilians will be killed, yet still they do that. Ever wondered why? On the subject of Palestein, don't forget that they voted in Hamas, a terrorist organisation, to lead the country. But of course you probably blame Israel and anyone except the Muslims.

The drone operators are hunting the terrorists who are targeting and killing as many innocent civilians as they can, Al Qaeda, Isis, aqap and more than like boko harem soon enough. Of course some innocent people (anyone who surrounds themselves with terrorism out of choice isn't innocent, nor are the people who cheers Isis executions) die when these murderous *******s are targeted, but in the end, it'll be far less people who die if these people are allowed to live.

So you believe that some people arrested and found in possession of thousands of ****ographic pictures of children, have had that evidence planted? That the poor innocent souls are dealt with harshly by the courts? Those draconian community orders and suspended sentences.

Poor Muslim men, having bomb making instructions and chat logs planted on their laptops as well. Some even get tricked into attending properties where making facilities are present. They think trips to Syria and Pakistan are just holiday. They're not at terrorist training camps, it's their form of paintballing isn't it.

And I think you'll also find that Israel never just target Palestinians for no reason, it's always in response to indiscriminate shelling of Israeli civilian towns and cities. People go on about the wall going up as well, but that was in response to continual suicide bombings, again targeting civilians (which are muslim ideas of legitimate targets), and these are now non existent.

The Palestinian terrorists know full well that Israel will respond with full force when they start shelling, and know full well that numerous civilians will be killed, yet still they do that. Ever wondered why? On the subject of Palestein, don't forget that they voted in Hamas, a terrorist organisation, to lead the country. But of course you probably blame Israel and anyone except the Muslims.

The drone operators are hunting the terrorists who are targeting and killing as many innocent civilians as they can, Al Qaeda, Isis, aqap and more than like boko harem soon enough. Of course some innocent people (anyone who surrounds themselves with terrorism out of choice isn't innocent, nor are the people who cheers Isis executions) die when these murderous *******s are targeted, but in the end, it'll be far less people who die if these people are allowed to live.

Perhaps you should try reading something other than The Sun ;-)

This all getting a bit silly now from both sides of the camp on the Death Penalty.

If the Death Penalty is going to be re-introduced for particular crimes against humanity then it must be made as safe as it can possibly be. Once the sentence has been passed down and automatic appeal heard and upheld the sentence should be carried out immediately without pomp and ceremony. A bullet being the best solution IMO.

None of these wild and wonderful schemes for inflicting the maximum pain to the convicted, (it'll never happen anyway) just a quick fuss free solution is all that's required to rid the world of those that think that the premeditated indiscriminate murder/maiming of the innocent is a legitimate action to further their cause.....

Slightly off topic but a line in one post above reminded me of something my grandad told me. He was a Royal Marine on HMS Repulse.

they were bombed by Japanese planes and he said they were suicide bombers, he watched one pilot that had crashed onto deck and he could see he was already all dressed in his formal attire for funeral. They deliberately flew at the ships to crash into them (and die). Grandad said it didn't half focus your sighting attention when firing at them because you knew that it was just going to keep coming if you missed, not veer off for another pass.....

just mentioning it as suicide bombing isn't a new idea.

I am for the death penalty Trev and otheres are against it we all have our reasons and most have expressed them. BUT Talk about drones and Palastine ,Israel ,Planting child **** etc are nothing to do with the UK polecy on capital punishment.

To the best of my knowledge we've never had this out on here. So, Pope: Death Penalty Represents 'Failure'
The leader of the world's catholics has spoken out against it and if you're one of them there's the concept of Papal Infallibility as he has a direct line to god (allegedly)
Opinions please my learned friends.
I'm against it (I'll bet none of you are surprised)

I don't think we should have the death penalty at all. Life sentences that mean life with very little privileges (so no TV or much recreational time etc) should be fine and dandy for any serious crime. That's taking a life away without killing it.

Those who use the death penalty in the US as a example have realize that in all cases it takes years before a sentence is carried out, here in CA there are 743 residents on death row, they have a better chance of dying of old age then being put down, so there is no deterrent IMO, other then if they are executed they won't kill again.

If you want a good read, the "War of the Currents" between Thomas Edison, & George Westinghouse, & the fight between AC & DC, with the electric chair being part of the war. Edison was a SOB, & Westinghouse seems to have been a honorable man.

Reply to Death penalty in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock