Discuss Deep deep psychological question in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

millwall ken

Hi all,
Heres a conumdrum for you - one that the missus had read in one of them girly gossip mags that birds love to read.

So here goes fellas, You are in a car with your husband and two children, at the end of a pier/mountainside whatever, and suddenly the car that you're all in ends up in the water. Now who do you save - your partner or children?
I would of though that for ANY parent this would be a no-brainer, you save your kids!!!
However, the woman in the magazine chose to save her husband. What happened was they was parked up on a pier, when a giant wave - in nice, sunny weather suddenly overswept the end of the pier and swept the car into the sea, 20 ft below. Now the woman was the only one who could swim; and she said that 'after somehow getting out of the car, she found herself on the surface.
Anyway she said that a million things went though her head in the few seconds that she was up, and before she dove back down in a search for the car. Now she said that whilst she was swimming in the pitch dark back down to where she though the car was; all she could think about was saving her husband somehow!
I can't remember the rest of the story that my missus told me; and she has since binned the magazine, anyhow the woman managed to find her husband and drag him up to the surface. They then both tried in vain to find their car, but to no avail.
Police divers later recovered the car with the bodies of the children still strapped in their seats.
Anyway a shrink helped her realise that she choose to save her husband because she had made a subconsious decision to save the person that she had choosen to spend her life with; and hence loved more.... I believe that it happened in the US, if anyone can shed more light please do so.

Jesus Christ, how do you live with that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello millwall ken :)

I think she was nuts.

I would take the bullet for my kids, end of.

Don't mean to appear flippant or belligerant but I think her brain malfunctioned as she was swimming back down to the car.

Bullet. Kids. End of for me

our lass buys those take a break,bella crap..i stopped reading them,its jeremy kyle in print..

Yes thats it mate, one of them type of mags - the poor peoples' hello or okay magazine. She told me it a couple of days ago, but to be honest with you, I was more interested in the website that I was looking at. So I was only half listening to her. And when it clicked into place, this morning, what she was actually on about, and the fact that it was a big story.
When I mentioned it to her, this evening, and I asked her what magazine she had read it in, she decided to play dumb (yer yer I know, a girl with 5 A-levels, sadddd). She told me that it was an article that she had read in one of the four different weekly magazines that she buys or swaps with the rest of the 'desperate' housewifes.
However (sarcastically), she told me that, she'll try to remember which one it was.

I would if needed give my heart or any organs up without a thought for my kids. I know my other half would and so would I get the kids to safety first. anymore is a bonus and i would not want her to save me and leave the kids. there would be no point anyhow as i don`t reckon i could carry on without mine, they are a pain in the bum but they are my pain in the bum :)

my mother in law told her kids that she would not give a second thought to who she would have saved because she said she was with her husband first so she would always love him more????
for me and as i see it its a different kind of love you have for the kids.

I'd save the missus, cos I ain't got no kids. I don't know who's kids these are, but they can friggin drown....

In all seriousness though, it may just be a case of 'whoever you can grab hold of' and now she's just doing her own head in thinking about it over and over. If I had kids I'd probably go for them first, for the record.

Perhaps she thought that by saving her husband first, they had a better chance of getting both kids to safety??

But I'd go for the kids first, and I know thats what my other half would want me to do, but which of the two kids do you go for first>??????

hmm, logically, she made the right decision. by saving her husband, the 2 of them had a better chance of saving the kids than her alone. unfortunately, they couldn't find them. paradoxically, though. if she'd have got the kids out, her husband may have been able to save himself.

Thats very upsetting just to read that account

I know some of us have made less than serious posts about this possibility,but who could honestly say with any assurance what their decision might be, its too frightening to even contemplate

I had to do a lot of web searching to find that article and I came across loads and loads of sick stories and forums with peoples opinions. I don't know how people can watch this stuff on YouTube, I'm going to spend an hour or so tonight trolling through and reporting all the videos that are sick.

It may well be that she did not make a conscious decision on her descent but reached her husband first. Could you actively pass someone you loved to reach another or would you automatically grab the first person you saw. Horrible situation whatever.

Reply to Deep deep psychological question in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net