Discuss Different Ze readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I've had an unusual result from taking a Ze at a clients house and wondered what everyones take on it would be:

The property is TN-C-S

A Ze reading from a disconnected Earth to Line gave a reading of 0.45 ohms
A Ze reading from the Line and Neutral gave a reading of 0.33 ohms

A TN-C-S supply should be no more than 0.35 ohms

I'm sure the Ze readings should be the same, but I could be having a senior moment. What concerns me, is that one is out of range, the other is fine. So have I got an issue to refer to the DNO or not ?

Just to add, I might have been a numpty. I disconnected the earth from the earth bar in the consumer unit, but the earth bonding came from a MET to the water and gas, which was still connected, so potential for parallel paths. I suspect I should have disconnected from the MET not the CU. Would that explain the values I've seen ?

Last edited:
For TNCS the line-neutral and line-earth Ze values should be identical as the main earth terminal is connected directly to the neutral in the cutout.

For a true Ze, disconnect the main earthing conductor and test from the MET terminal on the cutout so that you eliminate any parallel paths.

0.35 is the absolute highest value for TNCS. Are you sure it's not TNS?

It is not cast in stone that the Ze for a TN-C-S system should not exceed 0.35 ohm however your line to earth and line to neutral should be nearly the same if not then you have a different earthing system or there is a problem with the existing set-up.

went to a fault last year. . TNC-S earthing. Ze was 66 ohms. 2 sparks had been and given up, one had actually bonder the kitchen sink FFS. turned out to be that the link plate from N to E in the cut-out was loose at one end. tightened up with my VDE 3mm allen key and boomp. 0.18 ohms. seal fairy was booked in for xmas.

went to a fault last year. . TNC-S earthing. Ze was 66 ohms. 2 sparks had been and given up, one had actually bonder the kitchen sink FFS. turned out to be that the link plate from N to E in the cut-out was loose at one end. tightened up with my VDE 3mm allen key and boomp. 0.18 ohms. seal fairy was booked in for xmas.
How can anyone who calls themselves a spark fail not to find this one? TNC-S means, by definition, that N and E are a common point at the cut out, so any Ze at where you can measure it, will just be the resistance of the tail and main earth.

True Ze test should be carried out at the cutout, with all tails /earth leads disconnected towards the electrical installation, after all this test is an external earth loop impedance test.

True Ze test should be carried out at the cutout, with all tails /earth leads disconnected towards the electrical installation, after all this test is an external earth loop impedance test.
And if the supply is TNC-S, then the result will be zero ohms, since your meter probes are on either end of three lumps of brass, bolted together.

And if the supply is TNC-S, then the result will be zero ohms, since your meter probes are on either end of three lumps of brass, bolted together.

Sorry dont understand your answer, three lumps of brass bolted together? From where.
This picture admittedly is the new type of cutout combined N&E, the knock out on the side is the E connection for the main earth lead to the CU, however the older type only have one link between the N and E block.
So my question is why the Zero ohms.

Attachments

• Different Ze readings product-house_service_cutout_series_7_2 - EletriciansForums.net
    product-house_service_cutout_series_7_2.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 3
One block of brass for the type shown. Older types have a brass block for the neutral, another brass block for the earth, and if it's set up for TNC-S, rather than TNS, a brass bar bolted between them. Three lumps of brass.

Just recently I was looking at a WPD quote for a new supply and was quite surprised to see they now quote a max Ze of 0.48 for TNCS ! [Unless it was a misprint ?!} Maybe they're acknowledging an ageing and little maintained network ?

Reply to Different Ze readings in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock