Discuss Difficult gaining experience..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Notyetaspark

Hello everyone,

Could really do with some advice on the best way to go about continuing my learning to become an electrician.

Currently working with a local spark for the last 4 months but he can only give me 2/3 days per week if that. When I'm with him I feel I'm definitely learning but I'm 34 years of age with a family to support and 2/3 days a week wage just isn't sustainable for much longer.
Before this I worked as a mate on more commercial sites for about a year but didn't even get to look at a wire or anything to do with electrics really apart from a ---- load of plastic conduiting.
Is this how it is when trying to gain experience working commercial?
Seems like everyone gets assigned their role and that's all they will really do for the most part. No real learning gained from it to be honest.

Got my level 2 and 17th edition and want to work towards my gold card eventually but just don't feel I'm going to get the opportunity working as a mate on commercial sites.

How did some of you who were adult learners with no time to waste get there and if you had to do it again or if you was in my situation what route would you take?

Appreciate any feedback

Why do you feel installing conduit is not learning, myself and many contributors to this forum have spent days installing containment on commercial sites as it very often the bulk part of the install. Learn to walk before you can run.

Why do you feel installing conduit is not learning, myself and many contributors to this forum have spent days installing containment on commercial sites as it very often the bulk part of the install. Learn to walk before you can run.

Who said I was installing conduit?
And even if I was installing conduit if that's all I did for 12 months it would be pretty slow learning towards become a spark do you not think?

Thanks for you feedback though

Who said I was installing conduit?
And even if I was installing conduit if that's all I did for 12 months it would be pretty slow learning towards become a spark do you not think?

Thanks for you feedback though
"apart from a ****load of plastic conduiting" I believe you stated.
Slow learning used to be the best way to learn but these days everyone wants to reap what they haven't sown.

"apart from a ****load of plastic conduiting" I believe you stated.
Slow learning used to be the best way to learn but these days everyone wants to reap what they haven't sown.

You might of been happy with lugging conduit for 12months when you was learning but I thought there would be more to it than that. But maybe that's the way it is and that's why I'm asking on here to confirm that.
As for reap what they haven't sown, I left a 500£ a week job moving about conduit to work for 150£ a week to learn and try and better myself so hardly that mate.

You might of been happy with lugging conduit for 12months when you was learning but I thought there would be more to it than that. But maybe that's the way it is and that's why I'm asking on here to confirm that.
As for reap what they haven't sown, I left a 500£ a week job moving about conduit to work for 150£ a week to learn and try and better myself so hardly that mate.
No one is going to let a trainee loose until they can do the basics it just takes time mate

When i was house bashing as an apprentice all i did was box up and chase walls for 12months, as well as being the loft rat. Just got to suck it up and do your time, try completing your level 3 and get improver status.

As for the 'poor me' on the money situation, its was your choice at the age of 34 to take up a new job that involves a lot of hard graft and baby steps. No one forced you to leave your job to become a spark and start at the bottom again.

When i was house bashing as an apprentice all i did was box up and chase walls for 12months, as well as being the loft rat. Just got to suck it up and do your time, try completing your level 3 and get improver status.

As for the 'poor me' on the money situation, its was your choice at the age of 34 to take up a new job that involves a lot of hard graft and baby steps. No one forced you to leave your job to become a spark and start at the bottom again.

Definitely going to work towards my level 3

I never complained once about the money mate, Was just stating that I'm willing to start from the beginning but if after a year in site nothing is still leant then it gets frustrating

Definitely going to work towards my level 3

I never complained once about the money mate, Was just stating that I'm willing to start from the beginning but if after a year in site nothing is still leant then it gets frustrating

Stick on the forum and read some of the threads, their full of useful information. I have learnt loads from reading others posts and picked up a few useful tips. I must admit containment is very boring but necessary, try an industrial setting as they are more hands on.

Stick on the forum and read some of the threads, their full of useful information. I have learnt loads from reading others posts and picked up a few useful tips. I must admit containment is very boring but necessary, try an industrial setting as they are more hands on.
Cheers man, appreciate the feedback

Sadly, many of the larger companies use apprentices and adult trainees as gofers, and don't commit to actually ensuring that you get a range of experience/training. I don't agree with others that 12 months of just installing containment is acceptable for an apprentice/adult trainee. If however, you are working as an electrician's mate, then the work is what the work is.....containment, drawing in cables or whatever.
The trade is in a shambolic state wrt ensuring that people completing their training have well rounded skills & experience.

Sadly, many of the larger companies use apprentices and adult trainees as gofers, and don't commit to actually ensuring that you get a range of experience/training. I don't agree with others that 12 months of just installing containment is acceptable for an apprentice/adult trainee. If however, you are working as an electrician's mate, then the work is what the work is.....containment, drawing in cables or whatever.
The trade is in a shambolic state wrt ensuring that people completing their training have well rounded skills & experience.

Thank you mate. This was my feelings on the situation as well but seems like that's just how it is at the moment.

Reply to Difficult gaining experience..... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock