Discuss DNO providing DP isolation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just sounding things out as to what DNOs are charging for providing DP isolation switches where all that is in situ is the main supply fuse and the meter. Customer was quoted £30 by their leccy provider to have a DP isolater fitted. The following day an email reached them from their provider to advise that the cost would actually be £204, which they would have to approve before job allocated. Some disparity there. If I quoted with that level of disfunction, I guess my clients would smell a rat.
Just wondered what the typical nationwide cost is now.

6 years ago I was told it would cost £85 (Western power). They did the work eventually (3 calls later after a few DNA's) then never billed me.

I think you'll find prices vary around the country from nothing to £250. They may or may not turn up to do the job and they may or may not charge you. I sound like I'm joking but I don't think it's too far from the truth.

The last time I worked alongside the DNO the one chap disconnected the live incoming supply from the cutout and started chasing his mate with it threatening to stick somewhere painful! I was a bit shocked at the safe isolation procedure :D

6 years ago I was told it would cost £85 (Western power). They did the work eventually (3 calls later after a few DNA's) then never billed me.

I think you'll find prices vary around the country from nothing to £250. They may or may not turn up to do the job and they may or may not charge you. I sound like I'm joking but I don't think it's too far from the truth.

The last time I worked alongside the DNO the one chap disconnected the live incoming supply from the cutout and started chasing his mate with it threatening to stick somewhere painful! I was a bit shocked at the safe isolation procedure :D
In this case, the customers leccy supplier said they would simply add the cost to his quarterly bill, once he had OK'd the cost. He said they offered to fit a smart meter at the same time, which he declined, but the proposed cost of £204 referred only to supply and fitting the DP switch. Nice work if you can get it. I guess with escalating costs for smart meter rollout, they are looking to claw some money back in.

wesstern power charge around £170+
I use a company called haste who charge £92 inc vat to fit isolator inclusive of materials. which aint too bad.
Sometimes if cut out is looking a bit worse for wear I get dno to pull fuse at £76 inc vat i then fit the fuse. sometimes you can blag it and arrange a visit to inspect the cut out then tell them they are there to isolate it! fit your switch and be done...

Reply to DNO providing DP isolation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net