Discuss Do I Need To Bond My Subpanel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Inky86

DIY
Reaction score
Just getting ready to wire up this 100 amp subpanel., The subpanel is being fed from the meter base, not the main panel in the house. It doesn't look to me like the feed coming in at the meter base is bonded. I know we don't normally bond a subpanel because the main panel is normally bonded. So should I go ahead and bond it and If I do bond this subpanel, will I need to add grounding rods or can I just run grounds from subpanel to the ones already at the meter that were installed by the electric company? I've included a couple more pics of the meter base I will be coming from. The 30 amp breaker will move to the sub as they will be in the same room. Looks like the neutral bar is going to be fun trying to connect #3 gauge wire to...
box1.jpgbox2.jpg

Just getting ready to wire up this 100 amp subpanel., The subpanel is being fed from the meter base, not the main panel in the house. It doesn't look to me like the feed coming in at the meter base is bonded. I know we don't normally bond a subpanel because the main panel is normally bonded. So should I go ahead and bond it and If I do bond this subpanel, will I need to add grounding rods or can I just run grounds from subpanel to the ones already at the meter that were installed by the electric company? I've included a couple more pics of the meter base I will be coming from. The 30 amp breaker will move to the sub as they will be in the same room. Looks like the neutral bar is going to be fun trying to connect #3 gauge wire to...
View attachment 101453View attachment 101454
The code on adding a sub panel needs 4 wires to it and you will have to install a ground bar. Yes the neutrals needs to be separated from the equipment grounds. It’s best to get a main lug only panel. No ground rods are required and your main panel has been bonded, if not you would have eradicate voltage

The code on adding a sub panel needs 4 wires to it and you will have to install a ground bar. Yes the neutrals needs to be separated from the equipment grounds. It’s best to get a main lug only panel. No ground rods are required and your main panel has been bonded, if not you would have eradicate voltage
Thank You, I have installed the ground bar already and do have a main lug only sub which will only have 4 breakers in it. I have 4 individual #3 TNNH wires that I am planning to run to the shop with sch 40, nothing going underground or wet location, it's only a 2 foot run from meter to the house

Thank You, I have installed the ground bar already and do have a main lug only sub which will only have 4 breakers in it. I have 4 individual #3 TNNH wires that I am planning to run to the shop with sch 40, nothing going underground or wet location, it's only a 2 foot run from meter to the house
Sounds like you have it under control but please disconnect the wire to the ground rod you installed at your sub panel it is not required

Reply to Do I Need To Bond My Subpanel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net