Discuss Do I need? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

No, it's not enough to just label up a CU! although that is important. One of the tests of competency is your ability to design a circuit and that does not mean drawing a picture of the cable routes. It's about proving that what you install is appropriate for where it's going and what it's going to do Google circuit design and see what you get.
Yes a durable copy of what is what should be within or near a distribution board but there's more to it than that

No, it's not enough to just label up a CU! although that is important. One of the tests of competency is your ability to design a circuit and that does not mean drawing a picture of the cable routes. It's about proving that what you install is appropriate for where it's going and what it's going to do Google circuit design and see what you get.
Yes a durable copy of what is what should be within or near a distribution board but there's more to it than that

The schedule asks for roughly what you say , but it's too much for me to type out cos a can hardly see the reg book marra

What schedule Mate?
As an example, if you're planning a rewire how are you going to justify your cable choice, your OCPDs etc?
There's only one way and that is to do design calculations based on the circuit load, diversity and all derating factors

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that design calculations and drawings are required and that they should be kept throughout the life of the installation. Rauer asked what the scheme provider would require by way of design of installation and I think what they will require is in the reg number I gave him.

All the boards I have seen with any form of documentation on them are few and far between, but the ones that have had similar to the link he provided. As i was unsure what Elecsa required I suggested that he call them to find out, because I doubt they will want complex equations on an assessment.

I fully agree with you that a full understanding of cable calcs etc is essential in installation work. I think Rauer is capable of doing them, I was'nt suggesting he just marked the board , but follows the guidance of the regs , which I am quite sure he understood .

I'm sorry if I did'nt make myself clear. I'm not about beating the examiner.

Back to the proving unit.
How do you prove any metal parts aren't live before removing covers?
Surely you need to prove your test lamps,test for dead then re prove your lamps.
Before removing any metal db covers.

Back to the proving unit.
How do you prove any metal parts aren't live before removing covers?
Surely you need to prove your test lamps,test for dead then re prove your lamps.
Before removing any metal db covers.

I thought the idea of it was to prove your meter is working, not to check metal casings were not live

If you carried out a full risk assessment before commencing with any work you would need to prove all exposed metal parts are dead. The only way to do this is with a suitable set of testers. Majority of the time these metal parts are dead hence no voltage will show on your testers so you need to prove your testers are working. I'm aware some testers have a built in proving unit in which case a proving unit wouldn't be required.

Ok so if you put one probe on the casing , what do you put the other on?

what a red herring!. the whole purpose of a voltage tester is to prove that normally "live" parts of a circuit are safely isolated/dead. nothing to do with testing exposed conductive parts of the installation.

Reply to Do I need? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock