Discuss Do MFTs that test Type A/AC also test type F, type S, and Type G RCDs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The type S and G referred to on your tester will be for Selective or General types, ie time delayed or not.

This is different and additional to the current characteristics of RCD type such as AC, A, F, and B.

Looking online quickly I think your tester is capable of testing type AC and A.

The type S and G referred to on your tester will be for Selective or General types, ie time delayed or not.

This is different and additional to the current characteristics of RCD type such as AC, A, F, and B.

Looking online quickly I think your tester is capable of testing type AC and A.

Thanks for your message Andy, so does that mean I can test Type F, and Type S RCDs? I'm aware I'd need a higher range rcd testing mft to test Type b.

Also, I tried to open the rcd resource you uploaded but it says I'm not allowed to download

Thanks for your message Andy, so does that mean I can test Type F, and Type S RCDs? I'm aware I'd need a higher range rcd testing mft to test Type b.

Also, I tried to open the rcd resource you uploaded but it says I'm not allowed to download

No idea about my resource I'm afraid, but the link by pc1966 works.

I think it's vital you look at the differences between RCD types as you seem to be mixing them up a bit.

Your tester will test type AC and A, but I don't think it will test type B or F.
It will likely test both AC and A in either general or selective setting.

That is an interesting point: is testing on a AC/A waveform sufficient for a B or F RCD?

I would argue that it is, as you are not characterising the RCD as you might in a development lab, but simply verifying that it is detecting current at the appropriate level, and then disconnecting in the acceptable time-scale.

While I guess there might just be some corner-case fault that would removed DC/HF detection and leave AC trip OK, or you might have a knock-off module that fakes its B/F rating and really is an AC RCD inside, but I guess those are probably very rare situations to worry about.

Reply to Do MFTs that test Type A/AC also test type F, type S, and Type G RCDs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock