Search the forum,

Discuss dodgy programmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

growler

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi lads

been doing a small job for a builder and this included moving programmer + stat small distances. the programmer was moved a foot upwards and i didnt disconnect anything apart from the feed because i was feeding it from a new spur (had been a grid switch). anyhow today i re-energized the heating after it had been off for a week and now the heating doesnt work, the hot water is fine. could it be the programmer that is faulty ? it has been lying around for a week and might have taken a knock. it is a lifestyle LP522. im ok with wiring central heating from scratch but am a bit of a amateur when it comes to fault finding. there is no power reaching the stat so this means the pro is not requesting heat. can i bypass the programmer to test it by putting the central heating 'on' with perm feed ?

thanks is advance !

Find which cable goes into the programmers "HTG" terminal on the back, use your voltmeter to check between that terminal and neutral, should read 0 volts with heating off on programmer, 240 with heating on i.e press override on programmer, you may have to open the JB to test the cable at that end as the programmer has to be on its base to work!

That sounds like it could be the cause, but make sure all the links are in the terminals within the programmer (if required). Also as Somerset has mentioned above, if you can get to the connection box test the cables from the programmer and to the stat as there maybe damage between the two, what with building work on-going etc.

You both beat me to it :)

Last edited:
thanks guys. if i put perm live with hot water on conductor and put programmer back on will this make the heating work and prove the programmer faulty? ps no one had been near JB.

Reply to dodgy programmer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net