Discuss Does anyone have IET membership? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I find the IET membership page offers a bit too much detail and I'm not really sure what they offer or how much it would cost?

Is anyone here a member?
Do you feel its worthwhile, what do you get?
How much does it cost?

Cheers guys :)

I was when I was employed my Firm paid and I cant recall how much, the only benefit, if it was a benefit if you can call it that, was you could if you were vein enough use MIET after your name on any correspondence.

I'm a member (technician member). It gives you a third off publications which is a real benefit. Can't remember fee off-hand.

I'm MIET also. Gets you the 33% discount off publications and also the electronic version of their stuff - Regs, GN's etc. Good magazine.

I'm vain enough to use the MIET after my name and also my degrees and the professional qualifications. I worked hard for them unlike the obvious multiple guess exam we have to do! ;)

Took me awhile to get my MIET status probably because they took exception to ice cold gorillas ....
discounts are available to members and I always wanted to be part of the IEE
Aunti Ackbar (pseudonym) MIET

Ive just signed up. My application is awaiting approval I signed up fir TMIET ( you can achieve that easily using your JIB gold card) but the chap on the phone and talking through my quals he advised me to try for MIET, trouble is now I need to write a CV and get someone to sign a sponsership form. As a sole trader i dont know any other members of the IET so i expect after the faff I will just join as a TMIET and the CV will be waste of time.
It cost £165 i think

Ive just signed up. My application is awaiting approval I signed up fir TMIET ( you can achieve that easily using your JIB gold card) but the chap on the phone and talking through my quals he advised me to try for MIET, trouble is now I need to write a CV and get someone to sign a sponsership form. As a sole trader i dont know any other members of the IET so i expect after the faff I will just join as a TMIET and the CV will be waste of time.
It cost £165 i think
Depends what you want out of being a member AJ

Depends what you want out of being a member AJ
If I'm honest the main benifit is the discounts. I'd like the full set of guidance notes to reference as and when.

Later on in life designatory letters might be helpful if i need to work for someone or get out of manual labour.

Thanks guys, I'll look into a little further.

Depends upon if after you paid the membership the money that you are saving on the regs books and guidance Notes etc. outweighs the membership costs. But take in account the publications are not out every year but the membership is.

Depends upon if after you paid the membership the money that you are saving on the regs books and guidance Notes etc. outweighs the membership costs. But take in account the publications are not out every year but the membership is.
The saving on publications is in no way negated by the fee and is not a valid reason to pay it.

So what are the reasons and benefits for joining apart from letters after your name and discounts on publications?
It is as you say letters after your name. This does actually benefit me as I have a lot of technical correspondence and it can hold some sway at times, aside from that it probably serves little purpose aside from an ego trip but it is nice to be recognised by a Chartered Institution.

It is as you say letters after your name. This does actually benefit me as I have a lot of technical correspondence and it can hold some sway at times, aside from that it probably serves little purpose aside from an ego trip but it is nice to be recognised by a Chartered Institution.
Fair point then, if it gives you that professional advantage.

If you conduct research or engineering consultancy, or are seeking professional registration as an engineer, then the IET has resources that will be of use. I am not sure what benefit membership offers for the practising electrician per se.

I started out as an MIEE and was pleased to have 'E' for Electrical in the post-nominals. Was a little disappointed when the IEE and IIE merged to form the IET in 2006, that it no longer specifically represented electrical engineers.

Did not the IIE merge with the IEE then later become the IET as a multi-disciplined institution. Too many changes to remember.

Reply to Does anyone have IET membership? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock