Discuss Does anyone have IET membership? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

De
If you conduct research or engineering consultancy, or are seeking professional registration as an engineer, then the IET has resources that will be of use. I am not sure what benefit membership offers for the practising electrician per se.

I started out as an MIEE and was pleased to have 'E' for Electrical in the post-nominals. Was a little disappointed when the IEE and IIE merged to form the IET in 2006, that it no longer specifically represented electrical engineers.
Aye, when I was an InstTech, I couldn't see any benefit of being a member of any institution whatsoever.

Ive just signed up. My application is awaiting approval I signed up fir TMIET ( you can achieve that easily using your JIB gold card) but the chap on the phone and talking through my quals he advised me to try for MIET, trouble is now I need to write a CV and get someone to sign a sponsership form. As a sole trader i dont know any other members of the IET so i expect after the faff I will just join as a TMIET and the CV will be waste of time.
It cost £165 i think
Do you have any customers that might be in the IET that could help you? I do a to of work for a retired brigadier and he offered to sponsor me for my fellowship. He's into electronics but it doesn't matter to the IET and in any event he's seen plenty of my work.

MIET member.

Was quite handy when applying for a visa actually.

Other than that, if the company didn't pay for my membership I wouldn't bother.

I remember as a member of IEE (Institute of Electrical Engineers) there was talk of combining institutions with the IIT (Institute of Information Technology). It made sense to combine the deveolpments of digital electronics and associated control systems, telemetry, communications, BMS, etc , through programable software. I think that is how the IET (Institute of Engineering Technology) came into being.

Do you have any customers that might be in the IET that could help you? I do a to of work for a retired brigadier and he offered to sponsor me for my fellowship. He's into electronics but it doesn't matter to the IET and in any event he's seen plenty of my work.
No I don't, I have customers who would sponser me but they are not members of the IET. :(
Good luck with your fellowship mate !

Last edited:
Ive just signed up. My application is awaiting approval I signed up fir TMIET ( you can achieve that easily using your JIB gold card) but the chap on the phone and talking through my quals he advised me to try for MIET, trouble is now I need to write a CV and get someone to sign a sponsership form. As a sole trader i dont know any other members of the IET so i expect after the faff I will just join as a TMIET and the CV will be waste of time.
It cost £165 i think
This is why I've never bothered looking too much into how to go from TMIET to MIET as the sponsorship thing doesn't particularly make it easy. I must read up on the process again soon though.

Reply to Does anyone have IET membership? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock