Discuss Does Wylex RCCB meet Regulations? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electron

-
Arms
Reaction score
A customer wants a house refurbished. Attached is a photo of the existing Consumer Unit. three circuits are protected by an RCCB (an old type of RCD) and two aren't. I have recommended a new Consumer Unit with full RCD protection. Is there any way the existing can be made to conform?

DSC_1298.JPG

An RCCB (residual current circuit breaker) is not an old type of RCD. RCCBs are still manufactured today.

RCD is a generic term for all types of residual current devices including RCCBs; RCBOs; SRCDs; PRCDs etc. Dual RCD boards are DBs which contain two RCCBs.

The old wylex RCDs are to BS4293 and would still meet the requirements of the regulations even though the standard is now withdrawn; subject to satisfactory testing.
They tend to trip faster than new ones!
If the house is being refurbished then a new consumer unit would seem very sensible as it would be an easy way to ensure compliance.
The options with the existing would be to move everything onto the one RCD which is not generally a good idea, or provide external standalone RCD protection for the two unprotected circuits which would be acceptable but hardly neat for a refurbished house.

Only a FOOL would try and retain that very old fuseboard.

Your answer to the client is a simple one - a refurbishment means a new fuseboard - and possibly a full rewire.

Moving all the circuits onto 1 RCD isn't an option either IMHO

A lovely board, straight mcbs, blank plates that only come out when the cover is removed and aside from the plastic hinged lid, metalclad. Did you know Wylex do retrofit metalclad covers to fit existing NSB boards which have metal back boxes but plastic covers.

if you are altering any circuits, they must then comply with current regs. replacing the CU to provide RCD protection for those 2 circuits is the preferred, but not tho only, way.
I would also try replace the fuseboard; but they'd have to get rid of that spider first :eek:
never seen spider wiring?

Reply to Does Wylex RCCB meet Regulations? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net