Discuss Domestic Electrician course sought in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good afternoon.I am having a mid life crisis and wish to change career path as I have not been happy in my job for a long time
I am looking to do an electrical course in view to becoming a self employed domestic electrician. Im looking for a course long enough to give me the knowledge and skills needed,
Can anyone please tell me what course I should be looking for (is it part P) and if anyone could recommend any course providers too.
Many thanks
P.S Im in the midlands but willing to travel to do the course.Thank you so much in advance.

Welcome to the forum Julian. Be prepared that some members do not have very positive views, on gaining a qualification as an electrician from such courses, as opposed qualification from a time served apprenticeship. There are other hurdles in which to negotiate, not least the amount of electricians, that there seems to be in domestic market.

Do you have any experience as a trades person, what is your current role?

Good afternoon.I am having a mid life crisis and wish to change career path as I have not been happy in my job for a long time
I am looking to do an electrical course in view to becoming a self employed domestic electrician. Im looking for a course long enough to give me the knowledge and skills needed,
Can anyone please tell me what course I should be looking for (is it part P) and if anyone could recommend any course providers too.
Many thanks
P.S Im in the midlands but willing to travel to do the course.Thank you so much in advance.

Welcome to the forum mate.
Just to give some warning. The 'domestic installer' sector is saturated at the moment... Just go onto one of the web sites and see how many electricians are in your area... I had about 150 within a 5 mile radius. You have to compete will all of these.
I'm sorry mate but I did laugh a bit at your comment "Im looking for a course long enough to give me the knowledge and skills needed". These short courses you see will give you the very basics... There are some people on here who have taken these courses... Hopefully they will give you some feedback.
Do you have any electrical knowledge?

Just to add. I apologise if my post sounds negative. I am one of the people on here who stick up for people taking these short courses.

Its a bit of a contraversial topic the whole domestic course scene!
You are right to seek experience but that wont come without working, You cna by all means do the courses such as 17th edition (soon to be 18th) your 2392 testing course and if you wish the part p course which is just a course covering the building regs. (these 3 alone plus the testing kit and some insurance is enough to join a scheme)
With that you can realistically get work as an electricians mate to build up experience before maybe going out on your own and joining one of the schemes such as NICEIC.
There is no short cut for experience but if working as an electricians mate you could possibly do the 2365 courses in the evening whilst working during day?

I can echo Spoons post as above, not trying to put you off but hi-lighting that it can be a bit harsh in the domestic market. There does seem to be a bit of a streets paved with gold view of being an electrician. I have been self employed properly for six months and after taking away overheads and capital purchases I am running at a significant loss (I have also not taken a wage from being an electrician for the last three months). I am semi retired and have other income streams so I can afford for my 'electrical' work to be a bolt onto my other work. If I had a family to feed and this was my sole income I would now have to be looking for gainful employment and going PAYE. My point is that if being PAYE becomes a necessity there are not many firms/contractors who will take you with a quick domestic installer course. Take the time to look at job agencies for electrician and see the qualifications they are looking for, most will be looking for apprentices with Level 3 qualification 2365/2357 with an AM2 and gold card to work on a housing site and preference for those with a testing qualification also. So you need to decide where you see yourself going and take the appropriate qualifications even if this takes a few years not a few weeks to complete.

I can echo Spoons post as above, not trying to put you off but hi-lighting that it can be a bit harsh in the domestic market. There does seem to be a bit of a streets paved with gold view of being an electrician. I have been self employed properly for six months and after taking away overheads and capital purchases I am running at a significant loss (I have also not taken a wage from being an electrician for the last three months). I am semi retired and have other income streams so I can afford for my 'electrical' work to be a bolt onto my other work. If I had a family to feed and this was my sole income I would now have to be looking for gainful employment and going PAYE. My point is that if being PAYE becomes a necessity there are not many firms/contractors who will take you with a quick domestic installer course. Take the time to look at job agencies for electrician and see the qualifications they are looking for, most will be looking for apprentices with Level 3 qualification 2365/2357 with an AM2 and gold card to work on a housing site and preference for those with a testing qualification also. So you need to decide where you see yourself going and take the appropriate qualifications even if this takes a few years not a few weeks to complete.
I blame the training people promising the Earth, just to line their own pockets, not the Students fault. they listen to the carp dished out, and take it for granted that they will make their fortunes, sad really.

My area must be one of the few which getting domestic sparks is a problem.

I even contacted Andy78 off here to get a partial re-wire done. People not calling back/showing up and generally giving me the run around.

Good luck with it btw.

I couldn't get a domestic installer last yr after asking 5 of them on mybuilder, they all got back to be and said they were too busy.

It works both ways, I either spend half my life giving quotes and people tell me that a bloke down the pub can do it cheaper or don't even bother phoning me back. I am very reasonable so don't really get it?

As someone going through the whole career change thing my views pretty much echo earlier comments about the short courses but, for a lot of people it’s the only viable route in to the trade.
If you’re one of those people (and I am) then consider your choice of course carefully.
I’ve taken the 2365 Level 2 and (theory wise) it is hardly taxing. In truth, if you have any moderate level of electrical knowledge, understand maths and have an aptitude to learn then I’d recommend buying the level 2 book, study at home and then blag your way on to the level 3 course.
I think I probably wasted some of my time/cash at level 2, based on the say so of a training centre (that I wouldn’t recommend).
The biggest hurdle is the hands on practical experience that no one seems willing to offer, even when you’re offering free competent labour in return. (Personal gripe, sorry). Be prepared for more negativity but nothing worth getting is easy so, if it’s definitely for you, go for it.
And good luck.

Thank you very much for your messages.
Im presently driving trucks and the unsolvable nights working until midnight and being brain dead behind the wheel is doing my head in.
Im looking at a 16 week course as obviously it' impossible to learn much in 4 weeks, obviously 16 weeks is better but still only a start.
One of my concerns is how to advertise and get the work coming in when you start as due to my age I believe that self employment is the only way, starting with small jobs first

Im presently driving trucks and the unsolvable nights working until midnight and being brain dead behind the wheel is doing my head in.
Im looking at a 16 week course as obviously it' impossible to learn much in 4 weeks, obviously 16 weeks is better but still only a start.
One of my concerns is how to advertise and get the work coming in when you start as due to my age I believe that self employment is the only way, starting with small jobs first

That will be your biggest problem, and whilst waiting for those jobs to come, you'll need to put food on the table.

I came back into the industry, five years ago after semi retiring. I used to advertise locally, but I don't think the jobs I got paid for it.

Most of my work comes from my son's business. Without that, think I'd be looking for other employment, which I still might have to.

PS, just about to pay my scheme fees, this year £534.

That will be the biggest hurdle.

How much will you know after a doing a Domestic installer course and how much work will you realistically have to turn away because you wont have the expertise to do the job.

Joining a CPS competent person scheme like Napit, or NICEIC would be a good move even then you will have someone come to your place of work to access your competence where you will have to have all the latest up to date testing equipment and insurances etc

This will only be wise once you get a bit of confidence and you feel competent to work. I know a few lads who seem to have done pretty well going down this route.

Its all about learning to walk rather then run, being an electrician can take many yrs to master I'm sure, and knowing your capabilities when you start out is key.

That will be the biggest hurdle.

How much will you know after a doing a Domestic installer course and how much work will you realistically have to turn away because you wont have the expertise to do the job.

Joining a CPS competent person scheme like Napit, or NICEIC would be a good move even then you will have someone come to your place of work to access your competence where you will have to have all the latest up to date testing equipment and insurances etc

This will only be wise once you get a bit of confidence and you feel competent to work. I know a few lads who seem to have done pretty well going down this route.

Its all about learning to walk rather then run, being an electrician can take many yrs to master I'm sure, and knowing your capabilities when you start out is key.

I also started training 'later in life', at the ripe old age of 25. I thought I knew electrics but went into a 3 year course at the local college with an open mind anyway. At the end of the course I realised there was a lot I didn't know and I was way off putting my name on the side of a van; with very little experience I struggled to break into the industry, and that was without trying to dictate exactly what kind of work I'd be offered, how much training I'd need, what I'd learn on the course and what I'd be capable of at the end of it.

Reply to Domestic Electrician course sought in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock