Discuss Domestic Help - I’m not an electrician. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ELAY28

-
Reaction score
hi I wonder if anyone can help a lady out!

My fuse board RCD started tripping out every couple of minutes last night. I went through and unplugged everything.. switched every plug switch off!

I think I’ve managed to isolate it to the kitchen Ring main. This is the only one when switched on trips the RCD. Only thing is everything is unplugged and all switches are turned off, why is it still tripping when nothing is on? We currently have no heating, fridge freezer way of cooking etc and I have two small children. Is this going to be a very expensive fix?

Thank you for any help advise.

first thing is to get an extension lead from a healthy socket circuit to run fridge/freezer.
next ask friends /relatives if they can recommend a local electrician.

as regards to cost, it's impossible to tell. this sort of fault could be found in an hour or it may take most of a day.

a few members are in essex. might be able to help. but you may not get a response till evening as most will be out grafting.

if boiler is on a Fused spur unit rather than a plug, switch that off to eliminate the c/h.

hi I wonder if anyone can help a lady out!

My fuse board RCD started tripping out every couple of minutes last night. I went through and unplugged everything.. switched every plug switch off!

I think I’ve managed to isolate it to the kitchen Ring main. This is the only one when switched on trips the RCD. Only thing is everything is unplugged and all switches are turned off, why is it still tripping when nothing is on? We currently have no heating, fridge freezer way of cooking etc and I have two small children. Is this going to be a very expensive fix?

Thank you for any help advise.
First thing would be to get an Electrician in to find the fault, to help, have you had any work done recently, new shelving, cabinets etc, or has anyone tried to change socket face plates. A good Electrician should have very little problem identifying the fault, repairing the fault may no be so easy, depending what it is, good luck anyway.

first thing is to get an extension lead from a healthy socket circuit to run fridge/freezer.
next ask friends /relatives if they can recommend a local electrician.

as regards to cost, it's impossible to tell. this sort of fault could be found in an hour or it may take most of a day.

a few members are in essex. might be able to help. but you may not get a response till evening as most will be out grafting.

if boiler is on a Fused spur unit rather than a plug, switch that off to eliminate the c/h.
Okay thank you.

Boiler was newly fitted last year and actually just plugs into a socket?! So again would you recommend using an extension lead?

If it’s narrowed down to the kitchen ring then it shouldn’t be too difficult to find . Is the bathroom above the kitchen ?
Yes I do have a bathroom above the kitchen. There has been problems with water previously leaking through...

I did think it could be the kitchen lights but they are on a separate fuse to the kitchen ring.

Could just be a faulty appliance.

Possibly the fridge or freezer has gone kaput.

If you've unplugged everything and the circuit remains on. Plug items in one by one and see which is the culprit.
Everything unplugged and switched off. Actually switch the ring main back on on the unit and after a minute or so it trips again - without anything being switched on or plugged in.

Additional to the above check for switched fused spur units in the kitchen that could be controlling things such as kitchen extractor hoods, cabinet lights, outside lights.

You mentioned previous leaks from above. I have seen that quite a few times where a slight leak has tracked down the cables into socket outlets.

A local electrician needs to be called to investigate.

Yes I do have a bathroom above the kitchen. There has been problems with water previously leaking through...

I did think it could be the kitchen lights but they are on a separate fuse to the kitchen ring.

It maybe you have water ingress somewhere . Could even be an outside light tapped off the kitchen ring with water in it . I had a situation last week where the cat had urinated down the back of the cooker and the socket behind the cooker used for the ignition took the kitchen ring down . Hope someone can sort it for you and quickly for the kids sake . Let us know when you find out what the problem is

It maybe you have water ingress somewhere . Could even be an outside light tapped off the kitchen ring with water in it . I had a situation last week where the cat had urinated down the back of the cooker and the socket behind the cooker used for the ignition took the kitchen ring down . Hope someone can sort it for you and quickly for the kids sake . Let us know when you find out what the problem is
and i sincerely hope the cat has been consigned to a curry.:mad::mad::mad:.

Reply to Domestic Help - I’m not an electrician. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock