Discuss Don't you just love the SNP...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I would tend to disagree. I would agree a lot of people, in the UK, are quite fed up with hearing this debate. I have no factual figures to back this up. But I also think that many people were also relieved that the 'No' campaign won through in the end. I believe we have a lot to promote ourselves as a nation, the UK and splitting up ultimately would make us all, third rate countries.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I believe in the UK. What gets on my wick is the constant moaning from the SNP & their activists who seem to think they should dictate policy for the entire UK. Scotland voted to stay in the union but once the SNP realised they were not going to govern the UK in a coalition with the Labour Party, they have done nothing but agitate for another vote on the same subject.

The chief agitator for another vote was the Cameroon chap with his English votes nonsense, perhaps mischievously his rat pack didn't tell him that Scots members have a long standing unwritten policy of abstaining in votes that apply only to the English.

The SNP have no need to do much campaigning for another vote, the Tory's are doing such a good job of it.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I believe in the UK. What gets on my wick is the constant moaning from the SNP & their activists who seem to think they should dictate policy for the entire UK. Scotland voted to stay in the union but once the SNP realised they were not going to govern the UK in a coalition with the Labour Party, they have done nothing but agitate for another vote on the same subject.
I'm not a political animal like some. But in my opinion, on the last GE a lot of people were disenchanted with Labour, and the majority of Scottish people weren't going to vote Tory. It will be interesting to see what happens at the next referendum, which will be hopefully be after when Labour have sorted themselves out.

I voted for Scotland to stay part of the U.K. mainly because I don't think you can trust salmons as far as you can throw him, in my opinion the SNP didn't make a good enough case to win the majority. The SNP started a civil war within Scotland never mind the uk! I'm proud to be Scottish and love everything about my country bu according to the yes side I don't have any right to say so. On the other hand it's mindless ar**holes like Janner that fan the flames and give ammo to the yes side. Sometimes the english arrogance blinds them. The rest of the U.K. Would be worse off without Scotland as part of the union, if they would put to bed the independence battle they could play a major part in shaping the future of the U.K. Some of the policies they stand for would benefit everyone, if they went about it in the right way! And just for the record I have never voted for them. At the end of the day all politicians are just as bad as each other

I'm not a political animal like some. But in my opinion, on the last GE a lot of people were disenchanted with Labour, and the majority of Scottish people weren't going to vote Tory. It will be interesting to see what happens at the next referendum, which will be hopefully be after when Labour have sorted themselves out.

That last bit is likely to take several years - if ever. At least one Labour commentator I have read believes that Mr. Corbyn's election and his coterie of acolytes are more interested in simply being in protest against everything than they are in winning an election.

Mind you, I agree with Ken Livingstone on one thing. He respects politicians who believe in what they stand for. So do I. I have little patience with those who simply try to tell the electorate what they think we want to hear solely to gain power.

Actually, that is one thing I respect about the Scottish Nationalist Party. That's who they are. That's what they stand for. So at least they are being consistent!

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of repeating myself, I think you'll find that most English people couldn't care less if Scotland chooses independence.

Other than believing in the validity of a United Kingdom on purely philosophical grounds, my opinion is that if you Scots wanted to go then you all should have voted to go and then the remaining country could just have gotten on quite nicely without you thank you very much.

I might go so far as to say that I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of the English would now be very glad to see you have independence. I strongly suspect that we are all thoroughly fed up with listening to the almost incessant complaining that we get from north of the border.

In fact, perhaps I could ask my MP to add a question to the EU referendum - only for we English, of course, that asks...

"Are you fed up with subsidising free prescription costs and free university places for Scotland and would you prefer it if they were an independent republic without the £, without the Army, Navy & Airforce and without any financial help from the rest of the U.K. "

My guess is there would be a massive vote of YES!

Oh yes and let me just say that Devonport Dockyard would only be too happy to accept the role as the English and Welsh base for our nuclear submarine fleet. Oh yes, and we have enough spare capacity in Aldershot and other Army towns for any army bases that might still be lingering in Scotland. To tell you the truth, we have a huge airport in Cornwall that would also be thrilled to give a home to any planes and staff in that area as well.

Feel free to keep all the land in your country. Oh yes, and all the debt, unemployment, and health costs. Enjoy paying for everything that you currently enjoy. You'll find your taxes dramatically increase and your service levels dramatically decrease. Let's not mention the financial constraints you will have to endure to stand any chance at all of entering the EU and the Euro.

Yes, on balance I think a resounding "for pity's sake, please just go!!" is what you will hear from most of us English.

If, on the other hand you would like to stay as part of the United Kingdom, then I suspect you will continue to be just as you say, "a thorn in the political Arse of the U.K."

"Other than believing in the validity of a United Kingdom on purely philosophical grounds, my opinion is that if you Scots wanted to go then you all should have voted to go"

So, let me see if I've got this right. You fully and unreservedly accept all responsibility for the worst excesses of the Tory government, right. If you didn't, you wouldn't have voted them in.

"Are you fed up with subsidising free prescription costs blah, blah, blah..."

Simple request. Please supply the figures which suggest that you subsidise one penny of the aforementioned. I won't hold my breath. Of course, it's an easy and popular lie to sell.

"Oh yes and let me just say that Devonport Dockyard would only be too happy to accept the role as the English and Welsh base for our nuclear submarine fleet."

If you'd thought that one out a bit, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself so badly. Milford Haven maybe, but Devonport is a non-starter.

"a thorn in the political Arse of the U.K."

This is another one I love. You are aware, are you not, that the existence of the UK is predicated on the Union of the Parliaments? People like you always like to talk as if Scotland is a kind of adjunct to the UK. If Scotland leaves, it is no longer the UK, so you won't have to worry about it picking thorns out of it arse.

I find in a modern democracy it's a strange idea to proclaim that, once a referendum is held, the issue dies with it. Had that been the case, we'd still be sending boys up chimneys and we'd still have slavery. The SNP never at any point made any bones about the possibility of a coalition in the event of a hung Parliament. Why would that be anathema to you? In 2015, they gained 56 seats. The previous Parliament operated for five years with one of the coalition partners having 57 seats. However, leaving that particular piece of stunning bigotry aside, I'm not sure what you'sd expect a party whose constitution is based on Scottis independence to work toward. They're not agitating for independence, they're doing what they're constitutionally obliged to do. Meanwhile, as they've done for several years now, they're carrying on with business as usual, running the affairs of a sovereign nation as best they can, and to suggest that that's all they do is staggeringly ignorant.

What a terrific post, took ages to read it but some very interesting facts, and I just love the we want 'FREEDOM' from the Scottish contingent.
I have lived & worked in Scotland for 33 yrs, married a Scottish girl and have two children born and raised in Scotland.
As an outsider, yes believe it or not I have never been accepted in Scotland, I am that person from Englandshire, but you know what it's water off a ducks back, the mindless supporters of the SNP have created the mindless siege mentality in this terrific country. It has destroyed Scotland from the one I know, people have changed, the hatred for the English can be frightening, but this is exactly what President Salmond and now the First Lady of Scotland wanted, and they have truly succeeded.
The hatred for everything not Scottish is unbelievable, but in true fashion the true people of Scotland seen right through the Independance smokescreen and voted for the correct decision.
I have already received my notice from my employer that as I work in Scotland and my main residence is in the Scotland I must now be prepared to accept a possible 3% increase in my Income Tax from April 6th 2016.
Personally in a sick sort of way I hope it does increase because it will be the death knell for Queen Nicola, Chancellor Swinney and their band of merry men & women who keep banging the Independance drum.
I could go on forever but I will stand back now and see what sort of hatred will be fired at me from my neighbours, colleagues and SNP foot soldiers in the next few posts.

What a terrific post, took ages to read it but some very interesting facts, and I just love the we want 'FREEDOM' from the Scottish contingent.
I have lived & worked in Scotland for 33 yrs, married a Scottish girl and have two children born and raised in Scotland.
As an outsider, yes believe it or not I have never been accepted in Scotland, I am that person from Englandshire, but you know what it's water off a ducks back, the mindless supporters of the SNP have created the mindless siege mentality in this terrific country. It has destroyed Scotland from the one I know, people have changed, the hatred for the English can be frightening, but this is exactly what President Salmond and now the First Lady of Scotland wanted, and they have truly succeeded.
The hatred for everything not Scottish is unbelievable, but in true fashion the true people of Scotland seen right through the Independance smokescreen and voted for the correct decision.
I have already received my notice from my employer that as I work in Scotland and my main residence is in the Scotland I must now be prepared to accept a possible 3% increase in my Income Tax from April 6th 2016.
Personally in a sick sort of way I hope it does increase because it will be the death knell for Queen Nicola, Chancellor Swinney and their band of merry men & women who keep banging the Independance drum.
I could go on forever but I will stand back now and see what sort of hatred will be fired at me from my neighbours, colleagues and SNP foot soldiers in the next few posts.

Do I seem mindless to you? You don't think I put some thought into what I post? There is absolutely no doubt that there are ignorant Scots, but I'm not sure how that makes us different from any other country. As far as England bashing goes, if you're claiming that is SNP policy, then you're flat out a liar. I'm a supporter of independence but as for England, I have no special enmity. My son was born there. I lived there for years. As much as you'd like it to be about hating England, it isn't. It's about us, not England. Nice try about taxation too. Varying income tax was a power granted under devolution from its inception. Yet anothet myth exposed. Keep 'em coming.

"Other than believing in the validity of a United Kingdom on purely philosophical grounds, my opinion is that if you Scots wanted to go then you all should have voted to go"

So, let me see if I've got this right. You fully and unreservedly accept all responsibility for the worst excesses of the Tory government, right. If you didn't, you wouldn't have voted them in.

"Are you fed up with subsidising free prescription costs blah, blah, blah..."

Simple request. Please supply the figures which suggest that you subsidise one penny of the aforementioned. I won't hold my breath. Of course, it's an easy and popular lie to sell.

Scotland has 8.4% of the UK population, 32% of the land mass and in 2012–2013 generated 9.1% (£53.1bn) of UK tax revenues, and received 9.3% (£65.2bn) of UK spending back from Westminster. In 2012–2013, this amounted to a budget deficit of 8.3% of GDP, higher than the UK's overall budget deficit for the same period of 7.3% of GDP including a geographic share of North Sea oil.

"Oh yes and let me just say that Devonport Dockyard would only be too happy to accept the role as the English and Welsh base for our nuclear submarine fleet."

If you'd thought that one out a bit, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself so badly. Milford Haven maybe, but Devonport is a non-starter.

"a thorn in the political Arse of the U.K."

This is another one I love. You are aware, are you not, that the existence of the UK is predicated on the Union of the Parliaments? People like you always like to talk as if Scotland is a kind of adjunct to the UK. If Scotland leaves, it is no longer the UK, so you won't have to worry about it picking thorns out of it arse.

There again when young Sean comes on he will decry the google fact. So I guess you can say that in some way the UK tax payer is contributing more in returned venue than Scottish tax payer generate.

Of course don't let fact spoil a good rant lads..........

Last edited:
Youngscud
Taxation, yes it was granted under devolution, for you as a Scot are you actually going to accept an increase in your income tax, is this what Independance is all about?
I think not, but it is just one small change which will affect all working people in Scotland, will SNP voters raise their hands and praise First Lady Sturgeon for bringing in more revenue by taking it from her own supporters, not a chance, there will be anarchy in the country when you have less money in your pocket, and the rest of the UK will look like paradise.
And this is just the first step to a potential further five years of mob rule in Scotland.
Good luck matey, keep on banging that drum because you will eventually get what you want but when it happens there is no going back.
Remember that not everything you want is good, but by then it's too late and your country will have to live with the consequences.

If Nicola Sturgeon really believed in increased spending she WOULD have increased Scottish tax rates, but she won't as that would make her unpopular in Scotland and it's rare for a politician to do this!

There again when young Sean comes on he will decry the google fact. So I guess you can say that in some way the UK tax payer is contributing more in returned venue than Scottish tax payer generate.

Of course don't let fact spoil a good rant lads..........

I'm not young, that's the first mistake you've made - the second mistake is clear to anyone who reads beyond the media headlines.

Googling for facts that suit your own argument appears to be the way of things on here, that's just intellectually lazy - but it'll be the reason why so many have no in depth knowledge of this topic, as is being continually illustrated by nearly every little Englander comment here.

I'm being lazy here, but rather than just believing the populist media headlines, try reading a little deeper, you might be rather surprised.

I totally agree, she will not compromise her popularity with the minority of Scots (SNP) voters.
But I do wonder if the huge slump in oil revenue can continue for both governments.
65,000 jobs have already been lost in 2015 (across all sectors) of the industry, this includes all supply chain companies as well.
Not a good place for the UK as s whole, and not only oil revenue but income tax revenue disappearing fast.

Youngscud
Taxation, yes it was granted under devolution, for you as a Scot are you actually going to accept an increase in your income tax, is this what Independance is all about?
I think not, but it is just one small change which will affect all working people in Scotland, will SNP voters raise their hands and praise First Lady Sturgeon for bringing in more revenue by taking it from her own supporters, not a chance, there will be anarchy in the country when you have less money in your pocket

For what it's worth, here's my response.

There won't be anarchy, that's just more NO scare mongering nonsense.

I'd be happy to pay a bit more tax, as long as it was spent in a manner that benefited society, currently there's an awful lot of our earnings being spent on things that really really don't benifit the general public here, that for me is one of the most significant aspects of Independence that appeals, masters of your own salvation.

I'm fairly sure you'd not be happy if your earnings were given to others, with an agreement that they'll give some of it back.

sean_ork
You keep on believing what you read, well done keep the movement going, but don't come running back for handouts from Westminster when it all goes pear shaped.
Must admit I like your loyalty to Lady Nicola and the Knights around the Holyrood Table, you are a credit to the MINORITY in Scotland, keep up the good work Nicola would be proud of you.

Malcolm, here's a question that Google can't help you answer, I note you've opted to avoid it previously so I'll ask it again.

What line of logic were you using when you posted the below, specifically the last sentence ?

Again the condescending attitude, it is wonder you can function with that chip on your shoulder. I'm sorry son but how ever much you want to be English you can't

Just for the avoidance of doubt, I have never met a Scot who wants to be English - do you really beleive such a person exists ?

Reply to Don't you just love the SNP...... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock