Discuss Downlighters in solid insulation in a warm deck roof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

big willie

We have been asked to install downlighters in 100mm insulation below a air ventilation space in a warm deck roof. Our concerns are as follows;--

We could use led luminaires but some future occupant may change these for halogen resulting in fire damage

The building inspector is not going to be happy as the holes for the lights will compromise the thermal resistance of the ceiling and will even cause draughts

Has anyone got any ideas

Thanks

Especially if it is a new build, drop the ceiling to accommodate the design.of the lighting from the outset.
It always seems the lighting/ electrics that is not given due consideration.

LED flat panel lights?
LED flat panel round SL1024.jpg
The insulation clearance does not need to be so great, though it does need clearance as does the transformer, but you would not have to penetrate the insulation.

Last edited:
LED flat panel lights?
View attachment 32219
The insulation clearance does not need to be so great, though it does need clearance as does the transformer, but you would not have to penetrate the insulation.

I have to say I have been slow to succumb to led's, but a friend of mine asked me to fit two of those in a corridor.
In all honesty they are outstanding in that situation, they light rendition is quite pleasing , and not harsh.

I am thinking of using them (smaller version) in place of the downlighters in the periphery of his showroom.

Reply to Downlighters in solid insulation in a warm deck roof in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello folks, Just looking for a little guidance please. I am sure that this is something that many of you have come across before. I am...
Replies
Views
Well....wiring in a 1750s thatched cottage attic, not wiring made from thatch 🤪 One we have been letting for over 20 years (as well as enjoying...
Replies
Views
Hi, Is it possible to install ceiling speakers in the cold deck roof? I understand that cutting hole through (fully through) the insulation board...
Replies
Views
Ok, I'm back with another question for your consideration. Quick recap, we are refurbishing a building for the Men's Shed charity. It's a single...
Replies
Views
P
I need to do the first fix of a flat roofed extension and am wondering what is the best way to do this, with regard to the insulation. The roof...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock