Discuss downlighters regs? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elecyvie

If I fit 3 downlighters in a bathroom (shower proof) should I get fire rated ones or fit them with the fire hoods? I have about a foot between the bathroom ceiling and the false ceiling above?
elecyvie

Fit the fire rated ones and make sure any insulation is clear of the fittings and transformers.

Dont forget that this requires notification to your LABC as it is in a special location and you are fitting downlights.

This is a real grey area for some people. I asked the very same question here last year.
I was referred to a link on the ECA website where it states it is not a requirement to use hoods or fire rated downlighters, as the whole shell of a house is a fire containment. New or old the same applies.
Now, several BC officers have also told me the same thing and said they would only insist on any downlighter being fire rated if it was say in flats or a house converted to flats, so as to protect occupants above or below.

I'm sure loads of you will disagree but this is the correct info. I will try and find the link. Don't waste money on fire rated downlighters unless they are specified is my advise.

I was told similar a while back by a building inspector that he would only insist on fire hoods if there was a loft conversion/third floor to give them more time to leave the premises.

Reply to downlighters regs? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Our electrician has fitted these LED downlights: https://ansell-lighting.com/en/products/prism-pro-cct-fire-rated-downlight-dual-wattage Due to...
Replies
Views
Hi There Just a quick one, I'm wondering what's everyone's thoughts on this are. A subby has clipped a cable to a plaster board ceiling using 3m...
Replies
Views
I have two downlights in my hall with MR16 bulbs. These are now leds, obviously in the past they were halogens. The fittings are really old and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, DIY'er here looking for a bit of advice so please go easy on me. In my dining room there is an existing single pendant and i would like...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I bought a house and went around replacing the mr16 halogen downlighters with LED lights. The lights are controlled by a Quinetic smart...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock