Discuss Downlights for your own home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

jackhammerJIM

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Lads I'm approaching second fix stage on my own home but can't for the life of me decide which down lights to fit .

I got carried away and first fixed for every room in the house including the landing .

I would love to fit photonstar throughout but have been Quoted £40 for eco 600 and £80 for eco 900 . Cannot afford this .

I usually fit integral low profile
If it was your house what would you fit ???

Going to start converting mine from 1990s downlights with R50 SES to Amitex Centurians as the cutout is the same and the centurions are colour (white) adjusting and dimming by remote - they look a whole lot more up to date than those golfball downlights there now. Seemed a good idea at the time!
Wholesaler has had no returns from multiple hundreds sold and I’ve fitted on a customers house and was taken by them.
On the other hand if I had a brand new ceiling I would fit Ansell.

Suggest having a look at Orluna.com suggest Curve range at reasonable price yet still looks premium. Remember don't guess quantities for a room. Check it via Relux or similar or seek help as you often can save on number of fittings, by buying better quality. Design it right and enjoy a better install.

First time I've heard Photonstar being mentioned on here, I use to deal a lot with them, not with downlights but other led products, I've been down to there base in Southampton where they do most of the development, think they have a factory in wales where production takes place. The very early stuff was awful and has not aged well, they have discoloured to either a very yellow or green light output, but this was just when LED's were new. I'm surprised they are still going as the products are very pricey for what they are.

I fit Aurora's fire rated and insulation coverable for my own home and customers. Good solid can and can roll your insulation over the top in your loft. Bezels are separate in various colours. I find them nice and easy to fit and they pull up nice and tight to the ceiling. They also do an IP65 fire rated insulation coverable in the same range...

Aurora Universal Compact Fix Fire Rated Downlight Can AU-UNIF861 | RS Electrical Supplies - https://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/aurora-universal-compact-fix-fire-rated-downlight-can-auunif861_5312?gclid=CjwKCAjw-NXPBRB4EiwAVNRLKv02CHlslf2yrnIQdkarw-EDvotIwTIdSZtZO8Pq0MlMChce9yYtuBoCRGoQAvD_BwE

I wouldn't want downlights in my house! The British have a love affair with them though. I fit plenty for customers.
I've found Aurora to be nice, didn't much like Ansell (Orbio), was underwhelmed by JCC Hybrid 9. Numerous cheapo brands, have been sometimes OK, sometimes not nice, but suits low budgets.
I have fitted quite a few Photonstars (yes, ££) and they all perfomed very well.
I'd seriously consider going back to open backed (allowing cooling for the bulbs - which is critical) GU10 fittings. eg Integral Evofire or Ansell icage. Not quite as bright, but very good 500 Lumen broad beamwidth bulbs are available for £7-10 each, and you could then swap to others as stuff improves (high CRI, different colour temp or home automation options).
I've also had early-life failures in several top-branded integrated lamps, a pain to return, but OK only if it happens when the matching lamp style is still on sale.

What lighting would go in your kitchen then ?

completely agree on the jcc hybrid . I installed some last month and thought they were awful . all the hype for an oversized gu10 lamp in a £5 can .

Not had many gu10 leds fail in 5 years of installation . All in fire rated cans

Its the CRI part that gets me nothing on the market in the £20 range with a CRI over 80

What lighting would go in your kitchen then ?

completely agree on the jcc hybrid . I installed some last month and thought they were awful . all the hype for an oversized gu10 lamp in a £5 can .

Not had many gu10 leds fail in 5 years of installation . All in fire rated cans

Its the CRI part that gets me nothing on the market in the £20 range with a CRI over 80

In my kitchen we have a number of porcelain shade pendants over work surfaces, and a few similar style onset spots (Original BTC, too expensive to buy new, so sourced variously on ebay) .
Another huge benefit (for kitchen extensions) is no break of the vapor barrier or insulation in the ceiling.
High CRI are expensive. Soraa seem to do them. My last recent round or research I spotted these (Google Crompton LED GU10 7W CRI PLUS >95 3000K or Integral High CRI 95 GU10 LED) which potentially both look good, only ~350Lm , but haven't ever tried either

tried all of them fancy makes. not one of them will work. could it be that the gas supply to the fittings is microbore and needs larger pipes?

Reply to Downlights for your own home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net