Discuss Downlights - GU10 or Sealed units ......... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

What do you do?

• GU10's

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • Sealed Units

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Let customers decide

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Fairly simple question about peoples preferences

Personally I'm thinking that sealed units are now not really an option as there is too much waste when they go wrong and often it means time I'm not paid for

Whereas customers can change GU10's themselves .......

Thoughts?

The cost of both types seems to have narrowed, but I guess the life span is the same. Is the extended warranty that comes with the sealed units advantages, and have any of the GU 10's an extended warranty?

I was just going through the same question funny enough, hence I found this. Good timing Murdoch!

I always install the Enlite FD fittings as they are good quality & value and fit either Philips or Enlite LED's.

I have been to a couple of jobs where integral fittings have failed and are no longer available resulting in the client having mismatched lights. This really put me off them so I have only installed a few that have been provided.

I also like the hole size of the FD's... 75mm, enough to get your hand in and find the cable. The integral ones are smaller. Any issues?
Recently binned some LAP cheap ---- builder had attempted to fit, cut out tiny, terminals tiny, no earth terminal = You can guess the mess!

Saying that I was just looking at the good price and reviews of the E8 and feeling a bit tempted!

I take the view that with sealed units as the manufacturers know what is going to be in them, then they are able to state whether the units can be covered with insulation. If this is important or a possible consideration I recommend sealed units.

Having said that .....JCC FLEDs are proving an unwise choice with there failure rate

I was aware of the goping FGLED6's, having replaced 10's myself. Are there others in their range going the same way?

Not as far as I am aware, hope not. Am having quite a nice day on diazepam and tramadol, please don't spoil it!

I fit sealed units as standard. I have used KSR for a while now and only had a couple of failures out of a good few hundred.

I only offer free labour to replace in the first 12 months, regardless of manufacturer's warranty.

It means I don't have to fanny about with different fittings for different situations as the sealed units are IP65, fire rated, and have different coloured bezels available. They also have a separate driver which makes installation easier.

Enlite cans with Enlite GU10 lamps for me, with the interchangeable bezels they now have I can’t see the benefit of a sealed unit.

I think you get stuck with what you use as you don’t want to rock the boat.
I started with enlite twist and turns with Megaman GU10 dimmables costing £12 ish all in but then Denmans were selling the JCC V50 for £12.95 so I gave them a go thinking that with a 70mm cut out if they go wrong I can upgrade with something bigger. I’ve fitted less than 100 and so far they’ve been good (save a spot weld breaking on a spring holder, they’ve changed the design since) switchable WW or CW and different bezel colours.
I’m now afraid to change. I’m the same with CUs though, I’ve only fitted 4 different manufacturers and need to try more types.

Reply to Downlights - GU10 or Sealed units ......... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock