Discuss dry ufh. Floor temp probe positioning? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Arranging ufh in kitchen+adj utility. Lots of conflicting advice re probe position.
(What makes sense to me).
1. Fit in conduit for ease of replacement.
2. Fit 'close' to heating element (which is what it is sensing). Without touching.
3. Fit as close as sensible beneath the controller on the wall.

Not clear to me. Some say 'within 300mm of wall', others 'centre of the room'.

Am I right in thinking that the room temperature will make little difference to the sensed temperature (e.g. cold utility, hot kitchen).

Bit confused to say the least.
(I'm asking since my kitchen fitter has no electrical experience)

There is no wrong or right of how far into the room the sensor should go, however it should go directly inbetween 2 runs of heating cable as illistrated on the diagram attached.
If the sensor is to close to the heating cable it'll give you a incorrect reading and giving you a false output.
The sensor should be installed within conduit for ease of access incase of a failure.

dry ufh. Floor temp probe positioning? 8e0f9d4ebbd5ca1fa70681787667c216 - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks - so midway between two wires rather than close to one.
Any idea What max temp the controller should be set to for ceramic floor tiles please?

Which raises the question, is a probe necessary for ceramic tiles?
A Floor probe is needed to monitor the floor as it's a live element within the floor. Its a British Standard to have one.
If you didn't have a sensor and the cable you have was to overheat you'd have nothing there monitoring it which could then create problems.

As above you need to consider bare feet on the tiled area. Personally I would set 22 deg.

A Floor probe is needed to monitor the floor as it's a live element within the floor. Its a British Standard to have one.
If you didn't have a sensor and the cable you have was to overheat you'd have nothing there monitoring it which could then create problems.

Jake, I have come across systems whereby the sensor has failed and due to being poorly installed (ie no conduit), unable to be replaced.
Had no choice (short of major upheaval of the floor) but to re-program thermostat to operate on air temperature alone. Is this not permitted according to BS?

Jake, I have come across systems whereby the sensor has failed and due to being poorly installed (ie no conduit), unable to be replaced.
Had no choice (short of major upheaval of the floor) but to re-program thermostat to operate on air temperature alone. Is this not permitted according to BS?
Indeed it must have a sensor within the floor to limit the floor temperature. We used to sell a thermostat which had a infra red floor sensor reading the floor temperature however we no longer have these anymore.

Reply to dry ufh. Floor temp probe positioning? in the Electric Underfloor Heating Wiring area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock