Discuss dumb question of the week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

During the summer I went to a call out, the woman said that the 'switch thing on the board has just gone floppy and won't stay up anymore'.

When I got there, she had stuck it up with tape. I could see a gap between it and it's neighbouring Cbs. I took the tape off, it tripped with a flash straight away.

found a few seconds later that it was a wylex breaker (I think), fitted to a Hager board very loosely. It had overheated so much it had welled right up andwas a nice shade of brown blob at the bottom!!

ive seen contactors wedged in with plastic strips to keep the contacts closed. and steel wire bridged across overloads in a radio station
had a good time reaming the twits for doing that

Yes yes yes, contactors forced in with zip ties, pen tips, push buttons forced in with hair clips.

I was carrying out an inspection on an installation following an 'electrician' who suffered an electric shock after he cut through a live SWA cable by mistake. I was brought in to offer an independent review of the install. Said electrician came up to me and said the MCB 'didn't work properly?' And could I test the MCB by putting a fault through it! I suggested he tried plumbing instead...:/

My favourite is an 'added' shower in a small house with a 4 way 3036 board. Clearly didn't know what O what to do as no space! No space! So just shoved the radial into the main switch.

I guess if there was a fault you ran downstairs through the lounge, got the steps out, took the cover off the cupboard and switched the house off.

My favourite is an 'added' shower in a small house with a 4 way 3036 board. Clearly didn't know what O what to do as no space! No space! So just shoved the radial into the main switch.

I guess if there was a fault you ran downstairs through the lounge, got the steps out, took the cover off the cupboard and switched the house off.

A least it was protected by the DNO fuse LOL

Doing some Portable Appliance testing on an Army base along while back, found a live .22 cartridge as a fuse lol

Site where I work used to be a muntions factory during the war, recently there was enabling work going on for a new plant to be built one of the labourers worked into the office with an old .303 bullet, he asked what do I do with this.

ive seen contactors wedged in with plastic strips to keep the contacts closed. and steel wire bridged across overloads in a radio station
had a good time reaming the twits for doing that
so what if it was on a production line then?...or say a process that couldn`t just be shut down....

what do you do then when the contactor starts arsin about?

Reply to dumb question of the week in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net