Discuss Duplicate Posts - How to avoid them in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
There seems to be quite a high rate of duplicate posts occurring.

It's relatively straightforward to avoid them if you follow these instructions:-

When you post, you may notice a rotating/scrolling/spinning image appear in the top right corner of the browser window. If something has gone wrong during the process of posting, this image may not disappear.

If the image persists, do not post again, instead refresh the page.

The vast majority of the time this occurs you will find your post has actually been processed and will appear in the thread, what has gone wrong is the things that occur after you've posted, like the clearing of the message editor and the loading of your message in the page.

Cheers SparkyChick ,
(Originally I saving a copy -in buffer just in case post had failed ... but that does seem un-necessary most of the time !)
As you say -its been processed , just tidying up editor
process has got confused .

Thanks for the hints!
Is there a deduplication or at least prevent multiple posts within 30 seconds option on this forum? Another idea is to send a token with every post and deduplicate on that, one post per page view basically.
It's an incredibly common problem in computer science ("at most once" processing) and there are common solutions

Another hint it's this nearly always happens if your new post has caused the thread to run to an additional page of replies.
Edit although having read again, littlespark has posted almost the same thing above although referring to the last instead of the first post.

The site is very interactive. When you're typing, it periodically saves the text, checks for new posts etc. If there is load on the server, it may lag.

What causes the laaaaaag when typing?
What causes the page freeze?
Probably there's a lot of synchronous JavaScript running on the main thread. Often advertising code is an offender for that, but it can also be poorly implemented client side code on the main website which is very common even on bigger web sites. Google have a lot of information and tooling to improve web performance, which is unsurprising given how complex their web apps are and the huge budgets.

I tried earlir to post a poll,
server error
tried to post a new thread,
server error
hope this gets through!

Reply to Duplicate Posts - How to avoid them in the ElectriciansForums.net News and Updates area at ElectriciansForums.net