Discuss Earthing system quiz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Is the link between the neutral and earth terminal in the cut out still in place ?
Must admit, I was wondering if it was fitted, or had ever been fitted.
I think you are assuming too much competence on behalf of the meter fitter!
Probably
As I recall, when I had an isolator fitted, the guy didn't take any measurements at all - only a quick check of polarity.
I thought it was quite obvious that the earth was unconnected, as it isn't a main cable entering the head, just two cores, line and neutral - is it fed from overhead lines, or is there a proper intake head somewhere?
TN-C-S is like that. Just two cores in which may be separate cables overhead, or concentric (buried or overhead). Inside the service head (a.k.a. main fuse unit) the earth terminal is linked to the neutral conductor. Out in the street, there will be multiple points where the neutral is earthed - hence the name "PME" (protective multiple earthing).
As long as the neutral conductor doesn't get broken, this does give a very good earth.

Must admit, I was wondering if it was fitted, or had ever been fitted.

Probably
As I recall, when I had an isolator fitted, the guy didn't take any measurements at all - only a quick check of polarity.

TN-C-S is like that. Just two cores in which may be separate cables overhead, or concentric (buried or overhead). Inside the service head (a.k.a. main fuse unit) the earth terminal is linked to the neutral conductor. Out in the street, there will be multiple points where the neutral is earthed - hence the name "PME" (protective multiple earthing).
As long as the neutral conductor doesn't get broken, this does give a very good earth.
But that isn't configured as as a main intake head aka service head, there would naturally be no connection between the neutral and earth connection.

That could be configured for TT, or TN-C-S, but it isn't configured for anything!

So T at best!

Even if it does end up being interconnected for TN-C-S, given the age of the cable it isn't necessarily PME

But that isn't configured as as a main intake head aka service head, there would naturally be no connection between the neutral and earth connection.
I think I must have lost track of the thread here.
Looking at the photo posted by Zerax, I can't see whether there's an E-N link installed or not. It's not an area (features of different types of service head) I have much experience with, and the ones I have seen inside don't have the presence or otherwise of the link particularly obvious (if visible at all).

But if TN-C-S, all it would have is two cables (or two cores in one cable), with the N-E link fitted to provide the earth connection. So I don't get your comment that "it's obvious there isn't an earth as there's only two single cables". Our connection at church is "just two cables", and that's PME/TN-C-S - looking at the photos I have, looks distinctly similar to Zerax's photo, two cores in, two cores out, and an earth block on the side (confirmed during a DNO engineer visit to be PME linked).

I agree, but think most of us on here where too afraid to question the fact that there is an obvious earth visible. I NEED THE SMILIES BACK.

Reply to Earthing system quiz in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net