Discuss Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a call late last night, old lady saying her lights had stopped working. Whilst on the phone, I asked her to check her breakers and she said they are all on. It was 11.30pm and I was contemplating passing out, but I just felt sorry for her so decided to go round (was only 15mins away). When I arrived I found her on the floor unable to get up. She had fallen and broken her hip. Called ambulance and her daughter, got her off to hospital. Her son-in-law stayed with me while I had a quick look at her lights. The breaker was off, seems that it was only a bulb that had blown and tripped it out. Replaced bulb and went home.

Anyway, gets home today and there's an envelope on my doormat. Cheque for £100 and a thank you card.

Been looking at the cheque all evening, could really do with the money, but I don't feel right taking it. What do you guys think??

Take it, there obviously thankfull and want to pay you. You need the money, and its your job.

Could lead to the aqward "No I cant take it" "Please take it, where thankfull" "No I cant it, its ok honestly" "Please we want you to take it" and on and on lol

hm, awkward. perhaps accept the cheque, send a note round with a sort of credit note, saying ther next call out (up to a sensible hour or so on site) is on the house.

I don't mind getting paid for the work I did - but I wouldn't charge £100 for changing a light bulb. It's more the thought that they are trying to reward me for my actions towards the lady, something I would hope any of us would have done without expecting payment!

if you take things to a logical conclusion. those ambulencemen were paid for turning out. maybe indirectly, but paid all the same . what's different about you?

if you take things to a logical conclusion. those ambulencemen were paid for turning out. maybe indirectly, but paid all the same . what's different about you?

True. I like your idea about the credit note. And SKY's idea about the card. Might pop up and see her with both when she's home again. For now, that £100 will see me through til pay day!

Im at the mo standing up applauding yo my friend , instinct ,dont you just know when you need to go and you doing so could well have saved her life , im a bit of a softy in situations like this ,what i would do is get her a get well card and send the cheque back i know it may hurt but the amount of work you will get from it will be worth it and the best advertising is word and mouth , I have an elderly lady who had lost her electricity shot over there found a supply fault so contacted the DNO said it was an elderly lady and they were there like a shot didnt charge her for the call out ,didnt have the heart but 3 jobs from her friends and family well covered the call out

cushtie. you know it makes sense.

As nick say's you may have saved her from serious complications and her family are obviously so grateful and may be offended if you do'nt take payment.
Go with the previous suggestions and maybe a donation to a charity if you feel compromised.

Get wll card,flowers,credit note (or something like that) and cash the cheque.

Sending the cheque back could possibly offend the customer and likely make them feel uncomfortable about contacting you for future work.....but do as many have suggested (card/flowers/etc) and you can always gradualy knock off the £100 gained overtime to ease your guilt trip.

Take the money or repay 25% because the bit your missing is the mentality of the old dear ie in the hospital and telling her son mind pay that nice electrician who came out last night plus hand it back and she will think you have taken pity on her and the last thing she will want is your charity so give her £25 back saying you overpaid me thats the compromise for both sides.Trust me been there

You didn't ask for the money, so you aren't ripping anybody off. The family obviously value the fact that apart from everything else that happened, you were willing to help an old lady late at night who was in distress.
Take the £100, as I think you earned it, and obviously so do they. To refuse would be insulting what they think of your kindness and professionalism.

I think guitarist hit it on the head, you went out to the callout unbeknown that the old dear was on the floor and in a situation!
But out of the kindness of your heart you went over to solve the problem and found her, she is indeed lucky! And you then went on to rectify the issue and without asking for any payment or applaud! And then they have sent you this cheque and a card for their gratefulness, i think you should take it and like you say pop up and see her when your she home, maybe upgrade the MCB on the lighting circuit to a type C to stop it tripping when a lamp pops! Check the disconnection times of course! I think she would appreciate that!

AS OLDY SAYS 25% ( as returning payment may offend old dear Iv done "homers" for mums friends well in the past ect who have blown a fuse ,tripped am MCB Normaly dont ask for payment but get a note or 2 thrust in my hand Along with a phone call from another for a socket replacement ect ect )return along with card possibly a wee bunch of flowers
You know that recomendations are hard to come by n this lady and family WILL recomend you every time

If I told my mum once I've told her a 1000s times when you do the old I fell over trick .........your not suppose to send payment will she never learn ......................

Seriously well done Sky and a credit to yourself and our profession. Often especially in today,s world families are separated and it's nice to know that there are still guys, in all trades who are genuine and caring.

Makes a change to hear about this rather than a Dom littlewood telling all the world about how a bunch of crooks we all are

Reply to Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock