Discuss Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Congratulations:thumbsup

It's a tricky one regarding the money but these old folk are often disgusted when they offer a reward for services and you do not take it so I guess it would be rude not to.

At the end of the day, you have saved her life through your actions so a reward is most definitely deserved.

I think you've just earned yourself a few customers for life there and the word of mouth should do wonders for you in the future. Not only did you promptly resolve the issue but you saved a life too... Money cannot buy that sort of advertising:thumbsup

Cash the cheque then make an appointment to go back around to fit an emergency light for her free of charge so she will have light if a rcd/mcb trips again. For the cost of twenty quid and an hour or so, it will gain you extra brownie points on the word of mouth advertising.

Cash the cheque then make an appointment to go back around to fit an emergency light for her free of charge so she will have light if a rcd/mcb trips again. For the cost of twenty quid and an hour or so, it will gain you extra brownie points on the word of mouth advertising.

It's a great idea, but be prepared for her wanting to pay you if you do. She sounds like someone who won't want charity.

Ah but if he says "you overpaid me first time so I think this is a great idea for you and we'll be quits after this....."
Then no one is offended

whatever he does, the beers are on kingeri tonight.

well, that's MY charity. LOL.

right so first of all take the monney,then pop around and give her some elecy work for free. next when she is out of the room take all the cash and jewelry you can find.
if she could afford a ton for changing a light bulb she must be loaded.

Mmm Do'nt think the money was for changing the lamp do you ?

Exactly.

I say take it but buy a thank you card.

At the end of the day she could have been in serious need of help but you went round there even though you was contemplating not to - but you still decided to go around to the ladies house and help her out as you was not to know what you would find when you get there.

You helped someone in need and you cant put a price on that.

The £100 cheque you were given was not for changing a bulb it was for your help and honesty.

one thing you could do with the money is stick an emergency light on her staircase just in case it happened again price they are today even with labour you'd still have so left to cover your costs

I had the same sort of thing before I was employed by a company doing upgrades in council houses. We got to one at 13:00 and knocked on the door heard shouting from the back went round to see what was going on. Back door was opened wondered in poor old lady laying there helped her up made a cup of tea and called her family.

Ten mins later they are there more than thankful we carried on with our job, then the apprentice comes in with the lady following him trying to give him a £20 note as we where employed we was always told not to accept gifts.

But she would not give up even left it in our tool chest so in the end told the apprentice to go to the shop and get her some flowers a get well soon card and some nice biscuits.

The apprentice comes back gives her the card etc. then on the Monday we get a letter forwarded from the housing association singing our praises and to me and my boss that is worth a lot more than £20.

The other one was an old boy we done some work in his before. Got to the front door it was open as always shouted see if anyone was in, he shouted back come to the toilet and help me I've only gone and fallen off the toilet you could tell he was hurt but laughing his head off we picked him up made him a cup of tea. He don't have much family in the area so I used to pop in when I was round the area con a cheeky cup of tea out of him. Sad really when a man gets to that age and he enjoys it when you come round to chat to a male because his daughter once a week and a female nurse are the only people he sees .

Last edited by a moderator:

I was about to suggest exactly the same thing, I would go down the route of you having one in the van and thought it may help out as a foc item

Post #22

Great minds and all that nick :)

mine not great just very confused lol , how did i miss that ,tut beat me to it lol , i do get call outs 2 two elderly ladies infact i was at one of them today canging a light fitting , it is so sad to see them some times ,poor thing with her today was she was upset and sat in the corner sobbing her eyes out , whilst i did the job , that was before i gave her the bill , when i left she came up to me still sobbing and asked for a hug , i left the house really upset its heart breaking to see them like that so i went home and contacted her so and asked him just to call her so so sad

Last edited by a moderator:
i do quite a few service calls for the older generation,not a better set of people you will meet,most are alone having lost husbands and wives,jobs that take 30 mins turn into 1 to 2 hours just chatting,if anyone gets the chance just sit and talk to them after the job is done,their stories of times gone by are worth it alone,the likes of which we have never seen,it makes their day to sit and chat,whats an hour of your time to a generation whos values we will never see again

kingeri, the fact you've even asked this question shows you are a top chap. Good for you. The world needs more people like you. If just one young apprentice sparky reads this thread and understands it you've done a great thing.

If it were me I would bank the cheque you don't want to insult them by refusing the payment and then send a card and flowers to the old dear in hospital

Kudos for a job well done! Beyond the call etc. I hope if my old dutch is ever in the same boat she gets someone like you who'll go the extra yard.

As suggested before, a GWS card and a bunch of flowers - and the em light is something I hadn't thought of but sounds great.

Then, if you're still feeling all guilt ridden, once payday comes and you're flush again, write a cheque for the balance and post it to me, I'll look after it for you...

the older lot can be offended by gifts,why not just call round for a cuppa and a chat'how are you doing' and all that,and id bet my last pound she will still be hobbling around to get the kettle on,with a 'you just sit down son do you want milk and sugar'.... they dont make them like that anymore..thats for sure

Reply to Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock