Discuss I could be wrong posting here but i need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,"Technically" has no part in this,either your landlord gave permission,or not. To avoid you having to rectify the issue,to the landlord's satisfaction,you would need this written permission.

If the landlord has informed you that the quality and safety,is a problem,then they have accepted knowledge of this,and would have to have the installation either fixed,or removed. This will undoubtedly be in your tenancy agreement.

I am not trying to sink your boat,and i appreciate,that this work was done with the best intentions,but i think your primary task,should not be chasing the muppets who let you down, You need to be ensuring the landlord is satisfied with the situation,as their first point of call,regarding any monies due,will be you.

The landlord gave permission for this to be done, just not through them, they said do it privately, the main concerns are the safety of the whole job, the landlord has said to go to the guy who did this in the first place and tell him to fix it, then to call the landlord who will come back to inspect again and then we can get another electrician to connect it again

I have called a few traders who i got from checkatrade and yelp, i explained to them what has happened, theyve all said to go back to that guy and get him to fix it or for him to reimburse money or to get someone else on his behalf to do the job, i seem to be stuck here

Why do you want the same guy back to fix this? Get a proper electrician to re-do the whole lot.

Take plenty of pictures and get the proper electrician to issue a independent report. You can use this to threaten the handy man with legal action to reclaim some your money. Draw a line under this and move on having learnt your lesson.

Wouldnt it be principle for him to fix what he messed up?

The independent report would contain all the mistakes that have happened correct? Where would i get legal action from for this?

Hi and good morning.
I cannot offer advice nor should you construe my comments as such. What I will do is to offer an opinion.
First over and above all I would NOT take court action. It will cost a lot of money and more than you could recover.

This is what I would do. You decide if this would be suitable for you.
1 : Obtain a survey of what needs to be done to make the installation compliant. This would be best obtained from the housing association, who I hope would be helpful to you in the circumstances. If not pay for a survey by a competent electrical contractor who should set out in writing what is required to make the work good.
2 : Write formally to your shower man and tell him that the installation has not been installed in accordance with the requirements of BS7671, and that following a safety inspection by the housing association, the shower has been disconnected by them.
Confirm that you enclose a survey report that details the remedial work that needs to be undertaken to bring the installation into compliance with BS7671.
3 : Request that he makes good the work and brings it up to a standard that complies with BS7671 and the relevant BS7671 Certificates are issued.
4 : Advise him that he is free to make good the work himself, or appoint a competent contractor to do so on his behalf, and that the total cost of the remedial works and issue of the relevant Certificates will be borne by himself. Whichever way he wishes to proceed with the work he should supply you with evidence that those who will do the work are suitably qualified and competent to do this by means of registration with a suitable trade association, and membership of a Competent Person Scheme in respect of the electrical inspection and testing work.
5 : Tell him that for the avoidance of doubt completion of the remedial works will only occur once the relevant test and inspection certificates have been made available, and the housing association landlord is satisfied with the standard of the remedial work.
6 : Request that he replies within 14 days of receipt of this letter setting out how he intends to proceed, and that if he does not reply within that you reserve the right to instruct a Contractor to undertake the remedial work, and will expect him to reimburse you the full costs of this.

Keep a copy of this letter, and the attachments, which if you have them should include any evidence from the housing association as to the condition/disconnection of the supply, and the survey report that sets out the work required to make the installation compliant. Do NOT discuss money at this stage.

Send the letter recorded delivery, and keep the receipt. You should also state at the start of the letter that it has been sent by recorded delivery to confirm receipt.

Wait for 21 days before moving to the next stage.

I believe you have a very firm opinion in which has made good points, i shall write to him. The BS7671, will this also comply with the Consumer rights act 2015? For where the legislation for service provided by trader was mot done using reasonable skill and care?

What would the stage be for after 21 days have passed?

Why would you get a painter to install your electric shower?

Bludi sure I wouldn't get a spark to paint my living room!

Oh...no...wait a minute...

Sparks can paint! No-one's going to die if they use the wrong stuff...doh!

As far as i heard, he could do electrician jobs and he has the certificates for it also, which he showed my mum not me as i wasnt here at the time, our fault, we get it

Back to basics on this whole post. Lesson learnt I'm afraid to say. Get a qualified spark in and demand to see his qualifications etc if you're not sure. Let the spark decide what can be saved and what needs removing. Get him to certify it (not someone else). Then let others know about the "handy man" and not to use him for electrical work. The guy that signed his work off and certified it needs to be mentioned as well as he has no right to self certify due to him not being a member of any scheme. I would think the NIC or Nappit or whoever would not take lightly to someone using their certificates when they are no longer a member. They would probably pursue him for you and give him a good rogering!

I have spoken to the guy that signed off the work, he said he doesnt remember it, doesnt want to come round to see it, and in the end he said it will have nothing to do with him as he didnt actually do the installation. Since he is no longer a member of any of the bodies, nothing can be done to him because his last membership was with Scoma i believe in 2015 and the job was done in 2016

On the certificate he gave to me, there was no mention or logo of the bodies but the certificate looked odd

Back to basics on this whole post. Lesson learnt I'm afraid to say. Get a qualified spark in and demand to see his qualifications etc if you're not sure. Let the spark decide what can be saved and what needs removing. Get him to certify it (not someone else). Then let others know about the "handy man" and not to use him for electrical work. The guy that signed his work off and certified it needs to be mentioned as well as he has no right to self certify due to him not being a member of any scheme. I would think the NIC or Nappit or whoever would not take lightly to someone using their certificates when they are no longer a member. They would probably pursue him for you and give him a good rogering!

I have spoken to the guy that signed off the work, he said he doesnt remember it, doesnt want to come round to see it, and in the end he said it will have nothing to do with him as he didnt actually do the installation. Since he is no longer a member of any of the bodies, nothing can be done to him because his last membership was with Scoma i believe in 2015 and the job was done in 2016

On the certificate he gave to me, there was no mention or logo of the bodies but the certificate looked odd

I feel sorry for you, this is an abortion of a job.

It would be quicker to list the things that are right about it than wrong simply because in those picture I saw nothing done correctly.

You do not want this man back to make good as he does not know what is good.

Would there be any to retrieve money back from him or for him to get someone on his behalf to fix this? I agree with the quality of a job being so poor, said to everyone i get its my mistake but he was referred, i just thought it would have been principle for him to rectify this all

Wouldnt it be principle for him to fix what he messed up?

The independent report would contain all the mistakes that have happened correct? Where would i get legal action from for this?

Would there be any to retrieve money back from him or for him to get someone on his behalf to fix this? I agree with the quality of a job being so poor, said to everyone i get its my mistake but he was referred, i just thought it would have been principle for him to rectify this all
I would normally agree but this guy is so totally and utterly incompetent, unsafely so.

You can give him a detailed list of faults but he doesn't posses the skills or knowledge to remedy them correctly.

Contractually, and very begrudgingly, I'd offer him the opportunity to hire someone competent to do the work stating in the letter your belief he is not competent, attach your list of faults from your LLs assessor.

Then you could try Money Claim On Line but that process will insist you have given him opportunity to put this right.

Sadly you wont see a penny back from him, nor will he pay for the job to be corrected. Unfortunately the cost of other routes to recovery are prohibitive.

I would normally agree but this guy is so totally and utterly incompetent, unsafely so.

You can give him a detailed list of faults but he doesn't posses the skills or knowledge to remedy them correctly.

Contractually, and very begrudgingly, I'd offer him the opportunity to hire someone competent to do the work stating in the letter your belief he is not competent, attach your list of faults from your LLs assessor.

Then you could try Money Claim On Line but that process will insist you have given him opportunity to put this right.

Sadly you wont see a penny back from him, nor will he pay for the job to be corrected. Unfortunately the cost of other routes to recovery are prohibitive.

What if he refuses to get someone to do this on his behalf also? What can i say to him that may feel like he is being threatened to rectify this

So i could be at a loss then

What if he refuses to get someone to do this on his behalf also? What can i say to him that may feel like he is being threatened to rectify this

So i could be at a loss then

MCOL - Money Claim Online - Welcome - https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

you need to do some reading, unless you want to sit in a leather chair in my shed and be charged £250/hour for it.

GBDamo, apologies but I must take issue with your post and advice.

Absolutely wrong. Under no circumstances should you ever accuse someone of being incompetent unless you really do have a stack of evidence and even then it really should not be done. The person making the claim would need to prove their own competence to have reached such a judgement.
Any legal redress will require that the shower man is given the opportunity to put matters right. That is exactly what the claimant needs to allow him to do.
Sadly you wont see a penny back from him.
Your opinion, but not correct
...nor will he pay for the job to be corrected.
Oh yes he will...and he will pay substantially for it
.unfortunately the cost of other routes to recovery are prohibitive.
There is no need to proceed beyond the online small claims court with a transfer of the judgement to the High Court - which cost is recoverable on enforcement.

GBDamo, apologies but I must take issue with your post and advice.

Actually you don't, you've mostly written the same advice differently expecting a different outcome.

Absolutely wrong. Under no circumstances should you ever accuse someone of being incompetent unless you really do have a stack of evidence and even then it really should not be done. The person making the claim would need to prove their own competence to have reached such a judgement.

His LLs electrician has disconnected the installation and condemned it, so it is not me advising the OP to claim the cowboy is incompetence the OP has received professional advice stating it as fact, hence why i suggested attaching the LLs assessment.

Any legal redress will require that the shower man is given the opportunity to put matters right. That is exactly what the claimant needs to allow him to do.

I do believe there is an echo in here, in here, in here

Your opinion, but not correct

...in your opinion, we'll see though.

Oh yes he will...and he will pay substantially for it

I refer the learned gentleman to my earlier answer.

There is no need to proceed beyond the online small claims court with a transfer of the judgement to the High Court - which cost is recoverable on enforcement.

In my opinion, without a written contract or other sound proof a contract has been entered into and between whom then there is precious little for MCOL to settle.

Reply to I could be wrong posting here but i need help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net