Discuss Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Got a call late last night, old lady saying her lights had stopped working. Whilst on the phone, I asked her to check her breakers and she said they are all on. It was 11.30pm and I was contemplating passing out, but I just felt sorry for her so decided to go round (was only 15mins away). When I arrived I found her on the floor unable to get up. She had fallen and broken her hip. Called ambulance and her daughter, got her off to hospital. Her son-in-law stayed with me while I had a quick look at her lights. The breaker was off, seems that it was only a bulb that had blown and tripped it out. Replaced bulb and went home.

Anyway, gets home today and there's an envelope on my doormat. Cheque for £100 and a thank you card.

Been looking at the cheque all evening, could really do with the money, but I don't feel right taking it. What do you guys think??
may be worth asking the old lass if its a regular occurance....the MCB letting go every time a lamp goes....may be worth dropping in a c type.....just be sure to check Zs first though wont you....

Here's a silly idea that just might work for everyone:-

Cash the cheque, go to the cash point and take out £100. Go to the ladies house and hand her/the family every single pound she paid you + 100 business cards. Thank them for the payment but under the circumstances you feel that it would be better to give the money back but for them to hand out your cards to their friends so you can get some more new business. I'm sure they will bring you in more work worth a lot more than a tone in your back pocket.

Ok get her some followers and a card, its only right.

Thing is though Paul, if she's anything like my mother was she'll take the cards pass them out to all and sundry singing his praises and still beg and plead and arm twist and emotional blackmail till he takes the cash

Thing is though Paul, if she's anything like my mother was she'll take the cards pass them out to all and sundry singing his praises and still beg and plead and arm twist and emotional blackmail till he takes the cash

Hence why I said give it back in cash. If she forces it back onto him, he can post it back through the letterbox five minutes later.

Word of mouth backed by 100 business cards within the elderly community after such a nice deed after breaking an hip will go a hell of a long way.

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses to this. Some great ideas. I am planning on calling in at the hospital today with a card and flowers. I've paid the cheque into my account. Have arranged with her family to fit an emergency light whilst she's still in hospital so she can't say no, also gonna improve the lighting a bit generally as it's very dingy in places. The MCB doesn't often trip so no need to do anything there. The daughter has already got me a job for a weeks time, CU replacement and partial rewire, so it's all good. :smile5:

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses to this. Some great ideas. I am planning on calling in at the hospital today with a card and flowers. I've paid the cheque into my account. Have arranged with her family to fit an emergency light whilst she's still in hospital so she can't say no, also gonna improve the lighting a bit generally as it's very dingy in places. The MCB doesn't often trip so no need to do anything there. The daughter has already got me a job for a weeks time, CU replacement and partial rewire, so it's all good. :smile5:

Clients for life.

Well done

Reply to Easy money.....but I just couldn't take it! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net