Discuss EIC commercial property in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mkmly

-
Reaction score
Hi, I’m researching a small building project. The building is an artist studio block, tenant requires cladding one wall and moving two fluorescent fittings to a higher position on the wall. Landlord is requesting EIC for the electrical work. I understand Part P would consider this minor and non-notifiable work. Do different regs apply to a non-residential commercial building? Are we within our rights to argue that a competent person could do this work without EIC?
Apologies if this is a simple matter and covered elsewhere, I can’t find a clear answer yet.

Part P only applies to domestic dwellings, so no considerations there.

All electrical alterations should be tested and a certificate provided to comply with the wiring regulations. This can be recorded on an EIC or MWC as appropriate.

Landlord is requesting EIC for the electrical work. I understand Part P would consider this minor and non-notifiable work. Do different regs apply to a non-residential commercial building? Are we within our rights to argue that a competent person could do this work without EIC?

If it was in a domestic installation then it may not be notifiable under part P but an appropriate electrical certificate must still be issued, normally a minor works certificate rather than an EIC.

Any competent person will issue the appropriate certificate as part of the job, and if they don't then they are not working to the wiring regulations and therefore would not be considered competent.

The landlord is doing the correct and responsible thing by requesting the appropriate certificate,

I think you are getting certification requirements for electrical installation mixed up with requirements of the Building regulations and any certification those building regulations deem necessary for the various work disciplines

BS7671 18th edition of the wiring regulations requires all electrical installation work to include certification,Part P and the building regs are another subject

Reply to EIC commercial property in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net