Discuss EICR failures in rented accommodation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

markitect

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All, I am looking for some expert advice on EICR sets etc. I live in a rented house which has a private water supply, meaning we have to change particle filters regularly. The filter housing sits almost directly over a horizontally laid twin 13 amp socket, which powers the adjacent UVC filter, I am surprised this passed muster given that water spillage is unavoidable when changing filters? Any advice would be appreciated...

Some pictures might help.

however, an EICR may not pick up on this if there is no evidence of water in the socket when it is inspected.

it is likely to be at very least coded C3 (recommended improvement) due to not being suitable for the environment it is used in.

Unless they watched someone change a filter and spill water into the socket then the person inspecting it is unlikely to know that it is vulnerable.

It is also fair to assume a certain level of common sense exists and that anyone changing the filter would take steps to prevent the socket from getting wet.

Doesn't sound ideal. There are plenty of people around who may not be particularly careful when changing the filters.

Do you have RCDs?

Unless they watched someone change a filter and spill water into the socket then the person inspecting it is unlikely to know that it is vulnerable.

It is also fair to assume a certain level of common sense exists and that anyone changing the filter would take steps to prevent the socket from getting wet.
I have to agree to a certain degree, how is an electrician doing an inspection expected to know that a particular device soaks the surroundings on a regular basis unless someone tells them?

Strictly speaking, the landlord should arrange the following.
a risk assessment for changing filters
a method statement
suitable training for anyone who changes the filters.

often most of this can be sorted by employing a company to regularly test and maintain the water system and they may well point out the socket is in an unsuitable location.

Thanks very much for the replies, interesting responses, all relevant, yes there are RCDS, there is no risk assessment on changing filters. Perhaps I should have asked the question slightly differently, if this had been identified by the person doing the safety cert, would this be flagged up as unsafe/needs to be rectified immediately etc?

Thanks very much for the replies, interesting responses, all relevant, yes there are RCDS, there is no risk assessment on changing filters. Perhaps I should have asked the question slightly differently, if this had been identified by the person doing the safety cert, would this be flagged up as unsafe/needs to be rectified immediately etc?

Let's face it, there was never going to be a risk assessment document in place for filter changing.

It wouldn't be flagged up as needing immediate rectification - it's nowhere near that bad - but in an ideal world the socket would not be under that filter housing, especially with it being mounted horizontally.

C3 at worse though IMO.

I have had one electrician quoting me the 18th regs, and has suggested that anything within 300mm of a water point is contrary to the regulations? Which begs the question why was it certified? I am only looking for clarity.

I have had one electrician quoting me the 18th regs, and has suggested that anything within 300mm of a water point is contrary to the regulations? Which begs the question why was it certified? I am only looking for clarity.

What did he define as a 'water point'?

There are guidelines around sinks, but not general pipework.

if this had been identified by the person doing the safety cert, would this be flagged up as unsafe/needs to be rectified immediately etc?

This one will depend a bit on the person doing the inspection.

If it was me I probably give it a C3 'improvement recommended' code along with giving you advice on how to change the filter without spilling water on the socket.

Ask that electrician to quote an actual regulation number and you will find that they can't.

There is no such thing as a 'water point' or anything like it in the regulations.

To be fair, it is not as bad as I thought it might be.
it would benefit from being moved a foot up the wall on the right of the picture.

Reply to EICR failures in rented accommodation. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net