Discuss EICR inaccurate coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Matty12

DIY
Reaction score
Another accidental landlord, quite possibly another dodgy EICR?

I instructed an electrician (Essex area) to perform an EICR at the house I rent out. His report is 'unsatisfactory'. He has included a C2 rating for downlights in the bathroom. The reason given is the lights are not IP/fire rated. For ref, the lights are at ceiling height (which is not low). Furthermore, there is no floor above, the bathroom is part of an extension. Surely this is incorrect?

Almost certainly the lights do not need to be fire rated. Only if they are breaching a fire compartment barrier. Not normally the case in domestic properties of only 2 storeys and not in an integral garage.

Are the lights more than 2.25m from finished floor level?

Don't suppose you have a photo of the light / location?

Have you asked the person concerned exactly what the problem is and what the solution is?
Have they provided a quote for remedials?
Are there other remedial works to be done and do you intend to have the same electrician complete them?

There is no regulation that specifies fire rated downlights, more a building regulation.
There’s a requirement to to seal wiring systems passing through elements of the building to restore if any the fire resistance (like a fire compartment) prescribed by the element of that particular building construction.

The spark likes to walk away happy, but c nothing at best c3 at most. If someone said c3 for that,it wouldn't phase me, even tho it's not really.

Thanks for the quick replies. What should I do? It seems like he has incorrectly coded the bathroom light issue. Should I request he revises the report?
We can only offer a limited opinion on a forum, as we have not inspected the lights personally.
Your electrician can code things however he sees fit, and he's the one who signs the document.
However, I would suggest you ask him to back up his observations with actual regulation numbers.

We can only offer a limited opinion on a forum, as we have not inspected the lights personally.
Your electrician can code things was he sees fit, and he's the one who signs the document.
However, I would suggest you ask him to back up his observations with actual regulation numbers.
Of course I understand and I really appreciate everyone's input so far. I'll contact him and ask him to clarify.

This guide is inaccurate.
So it is. Apologies, I should have checked it properly.
My point was if the light is in the zones and non-IP rated it might warrant a code. As you said we haven't seen it but C2 does generally seem over the top.
(I C2'd one once where you could stand in the bath and very easily reach a pendant fitting. I was concerned someone might try and change the bulb mid-ablutions)

Reply to EICR inaccurate coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net