Discuss EICR question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, i’m looking for some advice. I own a flat which i’ve inherited and i’m looking to rent it out. I’ve had to have a EICR report carried out and the electrician said i need to Replace the consumer unit with a metal one as the one that is there currently is plastic. The one that is there is in the hallway and does not have RCD’s etc. He is claiming that this is a fire escape so its illegal to have a plastic one.
My arguement is that it was always there and not moved. It met the regs before so how can it not all of a sudden.
I just need some advice on my legal requirements ? Do i have to change it if no work needs doing to it ?

many thanks in advance

john

Hi, i’m looking for some advice. I own a flat which i’ve inherited and i’m looking to rent it out. I’ve had to have a EICR report carried out and the electrician said i need to Replace the consumer unit with a metal one as the one that is there currently is plastic. The one that is there is in the hallway and does not have RCD’s etc. He is claiming that this is a fire escape so its illegal to have a plastic one.
My arguement is that it was always there and not moved. It met the regs before so how can it not all of a sudden.
I just need some advice on my legal requirements ? Do i have to change it if no work needs doing to it ?

many thanks in advance

john
Short of Work is he? you will need and upfront RCD but tell him the Regulations are NOT retrospective, you could compare his quote for an RCD against a CU change. Ask him to quote the Regulation number that says "it's Illegal" Oh and the BS 7671 Regs are NOT a legal document. Advisory NOT mandadatory. When was the installation completed, if it was compliant then there is no need to change the CU, however if you are having new electrical works done then some update may be required, bonding etc.

Last edited:
At present I would listen to the electrician who is on site and has physically seen and tested your existing consumer unit. I could form more of an opinion if I saw the entire report.
Based on no RCD on any circuits I would be recommending a new consumer unit.
I guess an up front RCD could be given as an alternative to a new consumer unit but this would not meet the regulations and I would be making it clear it was a pretty unprofessional and poor alternative (if I offered it at all).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

This is part of what i was given

Attachments

• 8326D01F-6EEB-41EB-9999-6C9206710623.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 7C84D17E-8557-49D8-81DC-9C3D41B372A5.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 8AD37A3B-EC73-44BF-A492-02E0D10B8008.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 66
As you intend to rent it out, as HHD has said it would be a benefit to upgrade to a new consumer unit perhaps with RCBOs covering every circuit separately. You’ll be in a better position to rent it if you are up to date and safe. That being said, I would get a second opinion for the costing just because the electrician stated that it was ‘illegal’ - that to me reeks of incompetence or scare tactics for work, both of which I wouldn’t like in my house, flat, stable or barn!

It is likely that the complete lack of RCDs has prompted observations that deem the report unsatisfactory.
It is not illegal to have a plastic board in an escape route, this should attract a code of C3 if all else is in good order.
You would be best to swap the consumer unit if you are renting it out. Mandatory electrical testing comes into force this year and it would be best to get it in shape for future benefit.

i'd get quotes from other electricians for the work and at the same time asking their second opinion on the report.

You need a new consumer unit.
The report looks better written than many others seen on here.
The price for the consumer unit change given by the electrician would be about right for certain good quality consumer units. You may or may not be able to get it approx £100 cheaper if you want to take the time in getting other quotes.

All sounds fine to me. Well written up report, nice quote which imo is VERY reasonable. Slightly intrigued by the dual supply cu do you have a picture of your current consumer unit. What is the off peak running?

Reply to EICR question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net