Discuss Electric Underfloor Htg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, ive got a bit of an issue with some underfloor heating mat that i installed, all tested fine once laid, go back to 2nd fix and i have no continuity between L+N or E clear IRes between all cores its like its just a clean cut i.e a tile dropped on it but i cant point fingers. Tiles are all laid so i need to try and find the break somehow. Anyone any advice? had this problem before? i was looking at Hiring the Fluke 2042 but reviews seem a bit s**t. Cheers

if its a clean break, which is highly unlikely........... you may need to start again.

I've heard about companies that claim to be able to locate and fix but they are not cheap. ...

Yeah absolute nightmare, typical nice and expensive tiling. Its a ProWarm mat. I did think that would be the general feeling i guess i was clutching at straws. Cheers

Yeah for a customer, they are being pretty fair as they know its not my fault but just asked if i can look into wether there is anything that can be done other than ripping the tiling up.

There was electric UFH at a retirement development went to once they had breaks in it due to the screeders damaging they managed to pinpoint the break and join. It was some time ago but I can recall them using thermal cameras.

Perhaps with getting a quote, how big's the tiled area. I was asked some time ago to quote for electric ufh, another good reason why I declined, but you don't wanna hear that :(

We have used a firm that come out to remair mats
They were brilliant. Used a thermal camera to pinpoint damage. Repaired the Matt with minimal damage to floor.
Did u take a reading of the resistance of the Matt before and after laying?
Matt normally has a figure in ohms attached to it

We have used a firm that come out to remair mats
They were brilliant. Used a thermal camera to pinpoint damage. Repaired the Matt with minimal damage to floor.
Did u take a reading of the resistance of the Matt before and after laying?
Matt normally has a figure in ohms attached to it

This is a good thing for Frasered to hear as he must be panicking a bit (I would be!). Can you supply the name of the company for him?

You can locate blown lamps on old-style (ie. filament) series-wired Christmas lights with a decent volt stick, by tracing it along the cable. Never tried it with heating mat, but it's only resistance wire so could well do it.

Reply to Electric Underfloor Htg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net