Discuss Electrical certificates and Qs signiture. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm after some clarification on this, I am a gold car jib electrician but haven't done my testing and inspection but our supervisors are expecting us to carry out testing on certain jobs.
I can test but the problem is as I don't have my testing and inpesction certificate as far as I'm concerned I'm not competent enough to be signing off certs.

I was told however that our certs are to be signed by a Qs so in the event of something bad happening then the blame is on them.
So should I be signing it before or after the QS signs it as I can't really prove they been signed after I sign it?

Thanks

You need to speak to your QS about this, they may offer some training or give you some more experience to gain competence.

To answer your question: you would sign the certificate first and the QS would sign after they have reviewed what you have entered into it.

That's the thing our QS isn't on site and I'm not 100% sure it gets signed after so should I just not sign them until I see a signiture from qs first?

Hi guys I'm after some clarification on this, I am a gold car jib electrician but haven't done my testing and inspection but our supervisors are expecting us to carry out testing on certain jobs.
I can test but the problem is as I don't have my testing and inpesction certificate as far as I'm concerned I'm not competent enough to be signing off certs.

I was told however that our certs are to be signed by a Qs so in the event of something bad happening then the blame is on them.
So should I be signing it before or after the QS signs it as I can't really prove they been signed after I sign it?

Thanks
If you don't feel confident then don't do it, but I'm sure you must be if you have a gold card. If your doing this on paper take a pic of where you've signed showing the QS hasn't signed yet. If this is a legitimate business then they'll have to counter sign. But like I've said if your not confident don't do it, if something goes wrong and you have tested with out being "COMPETENT ". Your still liable.

As above, with a gold card it shows you have level 3 for Initial verification and testing. I am not clear when you say "testing" whether you are referring to EIC or EICR or even both. Although there is no actual requirement for 2391 it is good to have it under your belt for EICR it gives a better confidence. But having said that, doing EICR supposes at least a couple of years inspecting and testing experience so a bit moot really. So what is it EIC/EICR or both?

If you don't feel confident then don't do it, but I'm sure you must be if you have a gold card. If your doing this on paper take a pic of where you've signed showing the QS hasn't signed yet. If this is a legitimate business then they'll have to counter sign. But like I've said if your not confident don't do it, if something goes wrong and you have tested with out being "COMPETENT ". Your still liable.
Thanks like I said I know how to test but there's a line of competency these days and having a certificate shows competency, I wouldn't want the blame for something
As above, with a gold card it shows you have level 3 for Initial verification and testing. I am not clear when you say "testing" whether you are referring to EIC or EICR or even both. Although there is no actual requirement for 2391 it is good to have it under your belt for EICR it gives a better confidence. But having said that, doing EICR supposes at least a couple of years inspecting and testing experience so a bit moot really. So what is it EIC/EICR or both?
I guess it's just my proof of competencey if anything did happen and I got blamed for it, I can't say I did some testing on my am2 and some testing here and there in work. I guess having the 2391 these days proves competency.
I have no problem testing without it but if the test certs should be signed by the QS Id feel better testing and signing the certs.

A Certificate doesn't prove competency in any way at all. I have assessed countless people who hold a 2391 and trust me the amount who don't reach the standard far outweigh those that do. It is your companies problem if they allow you to carry out these works the can will not fall at your feet.

A Certificate doesn't prove competency in any way at all. I have assessed countless people who hold a 2391 and trust me the amount who don't reach the standard far outweigh those that do. It is your companies problem if they allow you to carry out these works the can will not fall at your feet.
Sure I have a couple of certificates somewhere, I particulary remember 2391 walking out and thinking blooming hech that was tough and finding only 3 others out of a class of 20 had passed.
At that point I knew i was an EXCELENT ELECTRICIAN!!

it was a few weeks later that i realised that I had a shiny new certificate and only HALF A CLUE about what i was doing.

although after about 15 to 20 years on the job i have managed to drag myself up a little in the knowledge base, I have found that we never stop learning

Aint that the truth! We had scenarios of half of the class just not turning up for the exam (2391) That was when it was the six questions, written. Just before they changed it all and split it into 2391-1-2 etc. But as you say, just a beginning. I know there are people on here who I look up to and get to feel like a beginner all over again sometimes. In fact I think that doubt/constant learner thing is very healthy, never being complacent.

Reply to Electrical certificates and Qs signiture. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock