Discuss Electrical supply to a portacabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
As trustee of a school I'm helping them with adding a 2nd hand portacabin situated adjacent to an existing one. An electrician has advised the best way to supply the new portacabin, made up of 6 modules, is from the incoming supply to the existing portacabin, to dig a trench and install six 10mm swa cables to connect to the 6 terminal boxes situated on the outside of each module.
I can't help thiinking it would be better and less expensive to bring a single 25mm swa cable to the mid-point of the new portacabins (approx 20m) and distribute from there to each module terminal box.
Has anybody advice/ experience to offer?

What is the intended use of the cabin and expected maximum load demand? Type of heating/cooling systems, lighting, sockets etc will all have an impact.

What is the intended use of the cabin and expected maximum load demand? Type of heating/cooling systems, lighting, sockets etc will all have an impact.
It's for classrooms. There are electric radiators on the wall about 5kW in each of the 6 modules , strip lights, sockets for light appliances, maybe a kettle also. We thought 10mm cable would give more than enough capacity.

The internal wiring circuits are connected through the wall to the boxes that are situated on the outside just below roof height. The wiring then routes above the false ceiling. Maybe I need to open up one of the boxes and see if inside it has RCD/mcb's.

An electrician has advised the best way to supply the new portacabin, made up of 6 modules, is from the incoming supply to the existing portacabin

There are electric radiators on the wall about 5kW in each of the 6 modules

So, for heating alone, then you are looking at about 22A per module. 6 modules = 132A. I presume that all 6 modules will be used at the same time so I wouldn't be keen on using selectivity, as all the heaters will be turned on at the same time. Yes, it will be a lot better once the modules are up to temp.
Then you have all the additional power.

If the intension is to wire to the existing portacabin then what size cable is powering that and what size breaker is it wired to?
I'm presuming it's also a 3 phase supply.

The existing portacabin is fed directly from a nearby transformer via an underground cable. I don't know the capacity or if it's single or three phase but is connected only to one phase.

Does each module have a separate distribution board.

So there are 5 modules each with a distribution box supplying a wall heater (2.5kW) a ring with sockets and lighting. The electrical supply to the original portacabin is 3 phase, it looks like one is used. The incoming cable from underground is huge and in place to cater for future expansion of the school..

Attachments

• Electrical supply to a portacabin IMG_20211022_131314 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211022_131314.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Electrical supply to a portacabin IMG_20211022_133412 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211022_133412.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 16
  • Electrical supply to a portacabin IMG_20211022_134147 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20211022_134147.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 16
I suppose I was working off the assumption that the supply to existing portacabin is adequate

With everything adjacent you would distribute separately to each module

Wiring to a midpoint and distributing makes no sense to me anyhow

Reply to Electrical supply to a portacabin in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock