Discuss electrical window wiring/control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Doing a rewire of a kitchen where the exisiting electric windows are remaining

The previous controller/connections was cut out and thrown away with the builders demo!

Never really had to connect up a electric window before- I have extended the 2x 2core cables the go to the 2 windows- with a 5core into a cupboard that I can get power from via a 13a spur to fuse down...

But what gear do I need and what are the connections to power these windows again and control them
The client is happy with a standard switch- or the lighting is controlled by Lutron RA2- so if I could control it by this too that would be a nice touch

see photos of cables coming from 2x windows attached..

Attachments

• electrical window wiring/control Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 7.30.20 pm - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-04-16 at 7.30.20 pm.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
If you've not already done so, check if the actuators are 230V or 12/24V. Some models come in both a 230V and a lower voltage variant. You wouldn't want to get this wrong!

If you've not already done so, check if the actuators are 230V or 12/24V. Some models come in both a 230V and a lower voltage variant. You wouldn't want to get this wrong!
Im assuming they are 12/24v as the only cables that go up to the 2x windows are 2x 2core cables

so do i need to take a 6a 230v feed into a 230-12v transformer then the positive 12v into C of a 2way retractive switch then both of the reds into l1 and both of the whites in l2 but then how is the window actuator getting a N/negative 12v??
[automerge]1587068579[/automerge]
How were they previously switched? I would expect to see a 2way retractive switch for open and close or some form of remote control.
I remember seeing some type of bulking box (tranny possible) but this got cut out and thrown by builders!!

You need the details off the window motor. If they are 24v DC, You can check the window motor functions properly with a 18v Drill battery.

The actuators work with a 12v driver

when 12v polarity is correct (+ of driver to + to windows they open)
Then the windows close when i reverse polarity (+of driver to - to windows)

is there a user friendly switch or remote/receiver setup i can use to do this reverse polarity switching for the windows to be open and closed by the client

If there is only 2 wires to each motor the limit switches will be built in.

It would, but there must be some more decorative options out there!
[automerge]1587132024[/automerge]
Here's one in a wall plate, obviously the wiring connections will be different to the diagram on that page.
dont think that will work in my situation??

that switch says 100-230v? i am trying to switch 12v

also your switch looks like it needs 3core going to window (O,C,N)
I do no have this- i just have a +&- from window 1 to a cupboard I have 230v in and same for a 2nd window

So after a 230v to 12v driver- i need a 3 position switch
(1)open circuit
(2)close circuit correct polarity (12v)
(3)close circuit reverse polarity(12v)

think I am just going to try the one i posted from eBay and try fit it in a euro module plate

Attachments

• electrical window wiring/control Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 11.47.40 am - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2020-04-18 at 11.47.40 am.png
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 6
you can get a12V 0n-off-on switch from a car accessory shop. may not be retractive though, so you'll need to physically return to centre off position.

dont think that will work in my situation??

that switch says 100-230v? i am trying to switch 12v
The switch wont care what voltage is going through it the one linked uses the same switch module as the one you linked!
also your switch looks like it needs 3core going to window (O,C,N)
I do no have this- i just have a +&- from window 1 to a cupboard I have 230v in and same for a 2nd window
I know that's why I said to ignore the diagram and wire the connections to suit your wiring.

You need something like this however it is not clear what switch mode it is. You could try emailing them.

Reply to electrical window wiring/control in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock