Discuss Electrical Wiring Question in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

JimboX

-
Reaction score
In my bedroom I have 2 switches that are wired into the lighting circuit. They are wired as follows: 2 reds into the top terminal, 1 red into the bottom terminal, 3 blacks linked together and not connected and 3 earths linked together and fixed to the metal back box. 1 red, 1 black and 1 earth are from a short length of 3-core that sticks out of the wall to accept a light fitting fixture.
I would like to change the switch faceplate to a switched 3-pin socket faceplate so that I can plug in a light and do away with the extra wire altogether.
Is this feasible?
If so which wires should I remove and what alternative connections from the wires list above do I connect to the 3-pinsocket faceplate live, neutral and earth sockets?

In my bedroom I have 2 switches that are wired into the lighting circuit. They are wired as follows: 2 reds into the top terminal, 1 red into the bottom terminal, 3 blacks linked together and not connected and 3 earths linked together and fixed to the metal back box. 1 red, 1 black and 1 earth are from a short length of 3-core that sticks out of the wall to accept a light fitting fixture.
I would like to change the switch faceplate to a switched 3-pin socket faceplate so that I can plug in a light and do away with the extra wire altogether.
Is this feasible?
If so which wires should I remove and what alternative connections from the wires list above do I connect to the 3-pinsocket faceplate live, neutral and earth sockets?
Presumably the switches control some lights - if you do away with the switches, you won't be able to turn those lights on and off.

Is this feasible?
Sorry mate. Makes no sense. Post pictures. That way there might be a chance of producing a viable wiring diagram.

It seems clear enough to me although pics would be better.

If the cable to the light fixture is the red by itself in the bottom terminal, the other two reds together at the top sound like incoming feed and loop out. In that case, the switched line to the light can be disconnected from the bottom, and the two from the top connected to the socket, all with their associated neutrals. A 5A or 2A socket should be used to prevent ordinary appliances being connected to the lighting circuit.

Reply to Electrical Wiring Question in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net