Discuss Energy Dissipation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

makawhite

Hey guys

Sitting studying at the moment but can't get my head around calculating for energy dissipation. I was wondering if anyone could shed some "light" on the subjuct...

Lets say a current of 4.5A flows through a 3.5 Ohm resistor for 5.5 mins. What is the energy dissipation?

Thanks for your help

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi.

Well lets start at the beginning. First off find V, = IxR = 3.5x4.5 = 15.75V.

So power dissapation, P = Vsquared/R = (15.75x15.75)/3.5 = 70.87W.

So P = 71W.

Now there is a chance that isn't correct as I was in work all night glanding off 12 x 800mm single core swa's into a 3200A ACB and my swede is fried.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I worked it out the same way Lenny did.

Basically...

V = IR. so V = 4.5 x 3.5 = 15.75W
P = IV. so P = 4.5 x 15.75 which = 70.875W

So to work out Energy Dissipation you take 70.875W x 330s ( 5.5 minutes x 60 to give seconds) and this = 23388.75 J

(Abit off the topic of enegery dissipation)

But hats off to Lenny! An all nighter glanding 800mm SWAs! Harsh! I glanded off 2 4 - core 120mm cables yesterday...Did my head in! Haha

Reply to Energy Dissipation in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

S
Hi all Here is one, A current of 4.5A flows in a 3.5 resister for 5.5 minutes. The energy dissipated is , ____Joules can anyone refesh this...
Replies
Views
pushrod
P
D
Hi all. Brand new to this forum malarky, so be gentle! I need some help here. Been in the trade for many years, have 16th, 17th, 2391 etc. But...
Replies
Views
W
Hi chaps, i was asked to give a presentation to the company work force regarding electrical safety and the basic do's and dont's regarding the...
Replies
Views
wade88
W

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock