Discuss energy suppliers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

multimick

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
anyone got recommendations for suppliers,i am with i supply at moment ,they are cheap but awful customer service almost non existent. used to be with a firm which is now shell energy

try bulb. we is with edf atm, 16p/kWh.elec. will be shopping round next month. just seen on a USA post, 11c./kWh. thats about 8p in our currency. talk about rip off britain.

I use Utility Point... <15p/kWh with 15p standing charge. You submit monthly readings. I told them to put my monthly DD down a few months ago and they did, no questions/hassle.

Pure Planet are the cheapest I've found, and 100% renewable too. 14.8p/kwh electric and 3p/kwh gas with £8 per month standing charge per meter. I pay about £60 a month in summer and £80 a month in winter combined

Can someone please explain how a supply company can supply "100% renewable energy" ? Does someone actually add up all of this to make sure it's not double sold ?

Can someone please explain how a supply company can supply "100% renewable energy" ?
You pay extra for Green energy (Supporting it), or even stored green energy.
(But in reality - they are not sorting / labeling electrons )
"Grid watch" was quite informative for imports ,wind-farmed, biomas , hydro-n-storage (Lo-carbon Nuclear !)
[automerge]1569050498[/automerge]
. thats about 8p in our currency. talk about rip off britain.
Try living on a small island ,like IOW , have to add in cost of ferry - (topical) .. We have borders to defend !
( our version of Obama care = TAXES,and a historic spend on higher education )

Last edited:
Can someone please explain how a supply company can supply "100% renewable energy" ? Does someone actually add up all of this to make sure it's not double sold ?
It's just that they buy their energy from renewable sources for example pure planet that I mentioned is wind & solar the gas is carbon offset

It's just that they buy their energy from renewable sources for example pure planet that I mentioned is wind & solar the gas is carbon offset
Don't all companies buy it from the grid ? Does someone actually check to make sure the total renewable produced is less than or equal to the total renewable sold ?

(Sorry... as Jack Regan would have said... "the hairs on my wooden leg tell me something is up")

try bulb. we is with edf atm, 16p/kWh.elec. will be shopping round next month. just seen on a USA post, 11c./kWh. thats about 8p in our currency. talk about rip off britain.

It probably depends which State you live in but my Son lives in Arizona and they pay 3 different tarrifs throughout the day, most expensive being 4 till 6 in the afternoon.
The aircon runs 18hrs a day for cooling and comes on occasionally overnight for heating (no gas).
It's a bit like petrol, it may be cheap per unit but their average usage is far higher than ours.

I don’t particualy like comparison sites, but uswitch is pretty good. Every time I renew I go on them.

I’m with EDF at the moment after coming to the end of octopus.

I was surprised it was one of the big 6 that was cheapest, it looks like the little companies that are normally the cheapest have got there attention.

One bit of advice. Research the company that has the best price. Sometimes they are so cheap that they cannot function properly. The reviews will let you know.

If you do go on any of the comparison sites... make sure you check/uncheck the box that allows you to see ALL deals... not just the ones that you can switch to via that site !

The wording the suppliers use won't say they supply you with, only that they buy renewable.
The energy you receive won't necessarily be renewable.
The supplier buys from the Generator, not the Grid.
The Grid transport the Generators energy but what you receive could be generated elswhere from non renewables.

Because of the claims being made OFGEM must audit the suppliers to make sure it all adds up.

If anyone wants to try Bulb, here is my referral link. £50 for you, £50 for me. Not actual cash but paid into your bulb energy account balance. They've been cheap for me so far, a few hundred cheaper than my last supplier in my first year with Bulb.

www.bulb.me/andy5352

Current tariff is 13.23p/kWh electric and 3.42p/kWh gas with 20.44p/day standing charge per meter.

If anyone wants to try Bulb, here is my referral link. £50 for you, £50 for me. Not actual cash but paid into your bulb energy account balance. They've been cheap for me so far, a few hundred cheaper than my last supplier in my first year with Bulb.

www.bulb.me/andy5352

Current tariff is 13.23p/kWh electric and 3.42p/kWh gas with 20.44p/day standing charge per meter.
That’s a really good price, if I was renewing I’d cash in on that.
[automerge]1569056542[/automerge]
Just went onto Andy link. Went so far then stopped as my contract isn’t up. They estimated £75 per month. Exactly what I am paying now.

@multimik I’d say go for it as I know my price is really good so bulb must be too. And you can cash in on the £50

Last edited:
That’s a really good price, if I was renewing I’d cash in on that.
Aye I'm happy enough for now with them. They are a very simple company, they have one tariff that they change only when wholesale prices change unlike the big companies that are constantly changing their products based on predictions of wholesale prices. The website is very simple and easy to upload meter readings.
If you switch to them they will even pay money towards your exit fees, up to £60 per fuel.
They are also a 100% renewable energy purchaser.

www.bulb.me/andy5352

keep that link. we're due to switch 1st November. and I'll take you up on that £50.

keep that link. we're due to switch 1st November. and I'll take you up on that £50.
It's the same link all the time I think but just give me a shout if you want it messaging to you nearer the time :thumbsup:

Do the comparisons though and make sure the prices are right for you, and ask them if they have any price rises in the pipeline, they usually know a few months in advance.

Reply to energy suppliers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock