Discuss enlarge existing hole in metal panelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hey guys / girls,
Whats the best way to enlarge a round hole in overhead metal panelling ?
Unfortunately i cant find a holesaw the correct size , so advice needed.
thanks

at that size, what's wrong with a jigsaw for a one-off?

yes , but still be interested to know how to sort it if 1 wasn't available for future reference
At the end of the day there aren't that many ways of making a circular cut in a panel of metal. A hole saw or punch is where my mind starts. A jig saw is probably the next most practical. A gas axe is probably over the top! An angle grinder and lots of filing is possible but will be messy. Using smaller hole saws many times and some filing is also possible.
I'm not sure there's a right answer to your question or that I'm helping much!

At the end of the day there aren't that many ways of making a circular cut in a panel of metal. A hole saw or punch is where my mind starts. A jig saw is probably the next most practical. A gas axe is probably over the top! An angle grinder and lots of filing is possible but will be messy. Using smaller hole saws many times and some filing is also possible.
I'm not sure there's a right answer to your question or that I'm helping much!
thanks for the response , tried looking for a fine toothed narrow blade for multitool , but cant seem to find anything suitable.

thanks for the response , tried looking for a fine toothed narrow blade for multitool , but cant seem to find anything suitable.
There are metal blades for multi-tools and I missed that off the list. In my opinion it would be quite hard to multitool a large circle as the material will be vibrating like mad and you'd have no easy way to counter this.

Last edited:

Reply to enlarge existing hole in metal panelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net