Discuss enlarge existing hole in metal panelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

On a serious note, depending on how thick the material is that you need to cut, maybe a Dremel could work?

Of course, I notice that no-one has yet suggested doing it the old way with a stitch drill.....

Decent quality holesaws are available in 160mm for much more reasonable prices, but you stand a good chance of pulling the gearbox out of a drill or breaking a wrist using them to cut sheet steel.

Nibbler by far the best option.

Good old fashioned adjustable tank cutter. These were used for cutting holes in steel water tanks, and mine probably dates back to the '50s, but they are still available new.
They need a well located pilot hole, so you'd have to 'fill' the original hole first. This could be a 100mm long piece of thin steel bar, pop riveted across each hole in turn.

Pretty much the same as the tank cutter that Brian was on about.
They're a great tool as long as you make sure the outer blades are lined up and everything is tight. I have a strong feeling the guard isn't stopping the dust, it stops the bits flying out and hitting you because they are loose.

Grey tool for cutting through Mdf/ply for the pan connector to pass through for built in toilets!

Reply to enlarge existing hole in metal panelling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Metal building with living quarters the panel is on the outside and about 20 feet away from new build that will be 2x6 what type of shielded wire...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I am installing some metal trunking vertically in a meter cupboard to contain all the meter tails for an apartment block. I have 5 sets...
Replies
Views
I recently purchased a rural property in Arizona. The property receives power from APS, the local electric utility. Power arrives from the...
Replies
Views
Hi there, long time lurker, first time poster here. Straight down to it.. A friend asked me to add some sockets and additional lights to a small...
Replies
Views
I'm homeowner and moved into a property which has 25 halogen downlights, I'm hoping to get an electrician to replace these with LED ones, what...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock