Discuss Esteemed member in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

@Dan was tweaking with the settings earlier on. It’s based on a post to likes ratio of 1:0.75 now I believe.

Awww I'm sorry mate. It's a bit of a test. It might go back to 1 post to every 0.5 'like', which is what I set it at first to try and get it kick in. Seemed to have worked but was delayed for some reason.

Needs to kinda be rare. But people need to have it.

?

Same here! I suspect my badge was taken away because I was experimenting with getting sweary words past the mods!
It is automatically given. That's the cool thing about it. So regardless of your swearing (which might get you a warning depending on where you do it etc) you either have the criteria and have it, or don't and don't. :)
[automerge]1568107022[/automerge]
This thread shows my actual thoughts as and when I had them lol: 'TA'; Territorial Army, an island in Micronesia or what? - https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/ta-territorial-army-an-island-in-micronesia-or-what.177987/

(I was replying to it whilst trying to get it working again for Lucien)

I think I'll have to pay more members to like my posts.... It's costing me a fortune already...

I'm working on pulling the numbers from the old forum database. Well, it's on my list to do.

But as everybody lost a similar amount percentage wise I can simply relax it a bit on this forum to counter that. But still then not everybody will end up with it.

Staff always take a hit with like based tags. Nobody likes being told off. ?
[automerge]1568108941[/automerge]
Once I know this is working well. And doesn't keep breaking. I'll create a new Welcome Forum (I've done this on the other forums to help guys out) and move the old welcome forum and lock it off, then set it to not count the old threads and likes in the old welcome forum, but count the new ones in the new forum.

That means all the one-word welcomes we have that got no likes from the new member wont count and go against you.

And the new welcome forum you can ask the newbie a question or something, actually engage in convo with them. And that'll quickly turn your like to welcome ratio around a bit.

Done it on tilersforums and it's helping the existing members with their ratios, and helping new members feel welcomed properly.

Like you've met them in real life and said hi. Rather than the equivalent in real life of running through a room with loads of newbies in whispering hi to each person as you pass. lol Or something. Not giving them chance to engage and not engaging yourself in a polite convo that they'd like.
[automerge]1568109876[/automerge]
Also! (Sorry I keep thinking of things to add to this) The double post merge, and minimum word count rule, both go in your favour with this. I did keep trying to explain it but without it running it wasn't obvious what I was talking about. Hopefully those make sense now.

Nice detailed responses will get you 'reactions' (likes). One word replies, while increasing your post count, reduce your like ratio.

So it helps the forum out with good content in posts. And you get rewarded with that with a badge. :)

Kinda like with the old TA tag, but you don't get voted in by peers which can appear cliquey.

Last edited:
All positive.

"Negative" I've set to neutral. Rather than redacting a 'point'. As that'd just get abused. Even by me. Mwahahahahaaaaaa (I jokes).

But it wont help as you've created a post, and got not likes. So still try to not get them, I guess.

Good question though matey thanks for asking.

Also. I think I've set it so that you need 1000 posts before it'll dish it out. Or something. Else a brand new member posts once, gets 2 likes, and it suddenly king of the forum and I think can then overthrow the current staff and whatnot. :tongueclosed:

Nice detailed responses will get you 'reactions' (likes). One word replies, while increasing your post count, reduce your like ratio.

Not always, a short response can get a lot of likes, especially if it amuses people. But a long detailed technically accurate response can get no likes at all, especially if it is relating to an unpopular part of the regulations or proving someone ewrong.

Agree with that Davesparks .

To add to that.

Any one who is looking to achieve esteemed member may actually sit on the fence to achieve there goal and just respond in a manor they think is popular.

Some members may start liking others posts in the hope they will get liked back.

Not sure how to overcome that obstacle.

I for one will continue to use forum as if esteemed member doesn’t exist.

Good point, Dave. I read "all positive" to be made up of "like", "love" and "agree" but I guess the humorous responses ("haha" and "wow") may also go toward the ratio, as in @Dan's words, they are not negative. The only downside to this is a popular comedian could become deemed "Esteemed" without having contributed a reasonable amount of relevant electrical knowledge/discussion.
@Dan's the boss, so he obviously sets the rules, however I'd probably add a membership length criteria in there too. Nothing personal to any individual, but I noted there's at least one Esteemed member that's only been on-board for about three months.

surely......a member can accumulate likes for posted jokes in the jokes thread.

Dan had mentioned that "Some sections" were missed from ranking.
---at aprox 1500 posts I had a 777 total with old forum .. 300 odd evaporated ..With my will to boost "that score."
..I was going for -Keep em happy-
(but may have put my serious head on -more recently)
.. getting more negative ..a part of growing up if you let it..

Looks like the threshold has been reduced from 1:0.75 as a load of us became esteemed yesterday :p Is it now 1:0.5 @Dan?
It has been reduced. I had notices, up, PM's sent out, threads mate. It isn't a secret lol

We've even given the 'Winner' reaction button to esteemed only, so they can dish it out. It gives +3 points per click, not just one.

:)

I wont be revealing what the settings are ongoing now. And might not even let people know when it's changed.

Needs to be rare but fairly dished out.

Also - first sign of abuse of the new 'Winner' tag and you get all your likes striped away, those given and received. So go steady with that one :)

Trying to lend the olive branch to those who lost some post likes over the years with forum changes etc. :)

You also get +3 reaction points when you upload a video to the video area, and that isn't even classed as a post. So that's better than even getting it on a post.

I'll leave that there. :D
[automerge]1569271287[/automerge]
p.s. if you want to catch up with everybody else checkout the announcement threads (not sticky anymore) in the main electricians forum - Electrical Forum - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/electrical-forum.15/

[automerge]1569271289[/automerge]
p.s. if you want to catch up with everybody else checkout the announcement threads (not sticky anymore) in the main electricians forum - Electrical Forum - https://www.electriciansforums.net/forums/electrical-forum.15/

Reply to Esteemed member in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock