Discuss Experienced but Unqualified - Help Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

munkyboy2001

Hi Guys, not sure this is the best place to post, but here goes...

I've worked as an electricians mate for my dad for the last 18 years, alas never got round to getting qualified in anything other than PAT testing, mainly due to my dad wanting me to be available for work and take no time off, well that was ages ago, just got into the habit of never being asked for any qualifications personally that I just went along with what he wanted. Working mainly in commercial premises I've done a fair few dis board changes both single phase and 3 phase along with the usual fault finding, some degree of testing.

I'm in no way saying I'm qualified and never have done, I know that I'm good at what I can do, but that won't be all encompassing. Well my dad has since retired and am looking at starting up my own company again mainly working for the commercial company he used to carry work out for, but since some of the electrical work has been taken up by someone else, I may not get all of it but have a good indication that along with the general maintenance works I can at least cover costs and a steady if really unimpressive profit for the company.

Question is whats the best route to get qualified, I'm looking at the company to be about ÂŁ8000 in profit after year 1 to allow for paying for it. I did have an interview with some Tradecareeruk bloke but that looked dodgier than Aston Villas defense this season, so walked away from it.

I know this 16 week courses are a complete load of bull and you won't know anywhere near what you need to be what i would call a fully qualified sparky, but are they an option for me, having extensive hands on experience?

Any help would be great, spoke to my local college and the only thing they offer is a mature apprenticeship which the guy said wouldn't be for me lol

Lastly anyone know how you are supposed to go about testing and inspection the old BS 3036 fuses that erm probably contain asbestos?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Cheers =) well been in touch with a electrical training place in brum and waiting on what they have got on offer. I know the local college said about the JiB bringing in something to do with granddad rights but as i have no tech certs doubt that will help unless i can do the 2365 then jump onto that? But think i will probably just have to start from scratch, bit old for it but if i can make ends meet for the next couple of years i should be fine. Just sorting out which training providers are legit and worth it and the scam merchants is a pain.

What about going to college nightclasses and doing your City & Guilds 236 parts 1 & 2 elec installation (or whatever has replaced them), together with the c & g 2391 testing of elec installations (or whatever has replaced that!).
That way you're not taking time off work to get yourself qualified.

What about going to college nightclasses and doing your City & Guilds 236 parts 1 & 2 elec installation (or whatever has replaced them), together with the c & g 2391 testing of elec installations (or whatever has replaced that!).
That way you're not taking time off work to get yourself qualified.

Yeah i'm looking into that, got confused about the whole 2365 as when i spoke to the chap at the college he said the 2357 was the only way to go and all they had was a mature apprenticeship which he didn't recommend so put me in touch with the Birmingham training people. I know the 2365 needs some bridging to the 2357 to get NVQ level 3...well i think i know... all the numbers have blurred into one recently. I know Able skills offer some every course under the sun for just over 8 grand but see what the Birmingham place says first, if they ever email me back lol

Hi mate get in contact with XS training they will help you! You don't need a tech cert ( part 1 & 2 when I did mine ) you have all those years of experience so why do you need to go college and be taught all the theory? Speak to XS training and sign up for an NVQ and Your AM2 it will cost you less that ÂŁ2000 and you will be graded a sparks by the JIB ! That's all there interested in now and you will meet the criteria through all your experience alone! Don't waste your money on doing the college stuff!

you have all those years of experience so why do you need to go college and be taught all the theory?

Forgive me for being cynical, but who's to say his dad has taught him correctly, or in fact at all. It's possible his dad said "this is how you wire a plug" and so on, teaching the practical side of it, but not necessarily the theoretical side. Now, obviously I can't speak for the OP but this blanket statement is misleading and untrue I believe. The OP hasn't got his Dad to fall back on now, and has to make decisions himself. My argument is that classroom theory is the first place I'd want to start.

An anonymous forum is probably not the pinnacle of advice...but here is mine...

You will not be able to accept/quote/undertake this work,whilst on your learning journey,and if you wait until the exams are finished...so will the contract.

You WILL be able to consider employing,or getting involved,with someone with the requisite qualifications,so this work could be tackled,with maybe the bulk of the doggin,marketing,and fronting,done by yourself.

You need assistance,and if your dad is unable or unwilling,or for any other reason,not helping,seek it from elsewhere.

The above is NOT a pop at yer dad...we do not,or should not,know your circumstances,but taking on this work,alone,training as you go,even if the company accept this,will not end well.

A casual conversation,with a smaller or sole-trader outfit,maybe one you have worked with/alongside,may allow the contract to start,before the next shark takes a bite.

Just make sure,any agreement,encompasses the provision of your personal development,electrically speaking.

Good luck.

Hi mate get in contact with XS training they will help you! You don't need a tech cert ( part 1 & 2 when I did mine ) you have all those years of experience so why do you need to go college and be taught all the theory? Speak to XS training and sign up for an NVQ and Your AM2 it will cost you less that ÂŁ2000 and you will be graded a sparks by the JIB ! That's all there interested in now and you will meet the criteria through all your experience alone! Don't waste your money on doing the college stuff!

I do hope this does not exclude all other avenues of learning the theory,as,if there are any trades,that rely wholly on the theory of the operation,function and continued safety,of what is applied...it is THIS one.

The criteria of any exam body,will for certain,require the proof and demonstration of a sound knowledge of the theory.

An anonymous forum is probably not the pinnacle of advice...but here is mine...

You will not be able to accept/quote/undertake this work,whilst on your learning journey,and if you wait until the exams are finished...so will the contract.

You WILL be able to consider employing,or getting involved,with someone with the requisite qualifications,so this work could be tackled,with maybe the bulk of the doggin,marketing,and fronting,done by yourself.

You need assistance,and if your dad is unable or unwilling,or for any other reason,not helping,seek it from elsewhere.

The above is NOT a pop at yer dad...we do not,or should not,know your circumstances,but taking on this work,alone,training as you go,even if the company accept this,will not end well.

A casual conversation,with a smaller or sole-trader outfit,maybe one you have worked with/alongside,may allow the contract to start,before the next shark takes a bite.

Just make sure,any agreement,encompasses the provision of your personal development,electrically speaking.

Good luck.

That is very good tactical advice.
I do not think he could do much/any better than that.

Peg has given some good advice, maybe contacting the JIB might be worth it, but as you have no core quals at all they might insist on NVQ. Its a shame your father could not spare you the time for college.

Reply to Experienced but Unqualified - Help Required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net